How to Get Stuff Out of the Toilet

posted in: At Home 12 comments

I’ve got kids and they sometimes pay no attention to my rules.  The toilet is like a beacon, drawing them in and begging them to toss things in and see if it will flush.  Well, sometimes it does and sometimes it does for a little while and then starts overflowing at a later date, when the children have no memory of what they tossed in.

It could be a toy or a guest who doesn’t understand that feminine items do not get flushed.  Maybe your wedding ring slipped down the sink drain?  There are all kinds of things that go down the drain when they are not supposed to.

We have all called a plumber at one time or another and had them come by for exactly 5 minutes, unstick what is stuck, and charge anywhere from $50 to $100 for their visit.

Well, you need what I call the claw and for under 5 bucks you will not be at the mercy of the plumber for a simple drain dig again.

How to Get a Toy Out of the Toilet

This little tool is called the Grab Easy Grabber and Retriever.  It costs $4.98. I picked it up at Home Depot and in just a minute had this yellow block come out of the kids’ potty.  No wonder it wouldn’t flush!  Then I went crazy and did the other toilets and drains.  It gets anything that is in there.  For sinks it got hair out.  For the toilets it got stuff that was stuck.  Gross, I know, and I don’t know what it was.

All you do is push on the red button top to open the claw, stick it in the drain and push it through until it bumps into whatever is in there.  Then let it close and pull it out.  It sometimes takes a couple of tries.  You will feel so proud.  I promise.  If you are getting a ring I would gently put it in the sink drain until you feel or hear it and then grasp the ring and slowly pull it out.  The claws are strong and will not let go.

The point is you can now save a call to the plumber and unstick your toilet or rescue your wedding ring yourself.  This is a tool that everyone should have in their home.

Boom.  Money saved.  Potty clear.

That’s Awesome. That’s Vandy.

• March 29, 2013 Kelly

That IS AWESOME!!!! Who Knew??!!
    Wish I had this tip years ago!!
    Kelly recently posted… Are you Ready for the April Food Photo-A-Day Challenge?My Profile

• March 29, 2013 Nicole

You had me at “it got hair out”! Will have to add it to my hardware store list! Excellent tip!!

• March 29, 2013 Poppy

I love this tip! (Though the only that worked with the Yo-Yo stuck in ours a few years ago was a sledgehammer. RIP old toilet.)
    Poppy recently posted… Simple Lentil Soup is Tasty (Even if it’s Ugly)My Profile

• March 29, 2013 Angie Kinghorn

That’s SO Vandy!!!! I’ve got to get one of those, stat!
    Angie Kinghorn recently posted… Good FridayMy Profile

• March 29, 2013 Connie

I could not resist reading this blog post after seeing the title:) That tool really is awesome. I love the new look of your blog, by the way.
    Connie recently posted… Decorating Easter Eggs and Natural Easter Egg DyesMy Profile

• March 29, 2013 Alison

I’m Pinning this to my, “Well, That’s Clever” Board. :)
    Alison recently posted… Two Blogging YearsMy Profile

• March 30, 2013 Kimberly

Oh man…I have a boy who loves to throw whatever down the toilet because it’s hilarious…
    This is awesome. Thanks!!
    Kimberly recently posted… Things That You Probably Won’t Give A Hoot AboutMy Profile

• March 30, 2013 Thekitchwitch

Must. Get. Claw. Thingy.

Worst plumbing story ever: my kid flushed a vial of Astroglide (aka:sexytime lube) down the crapper. Try explaining that one to the plumber!
    Thekitchwitch recently posted… Spring Storm SoupMy Profile

• April 2, 2013 Nina

That IS awesome!! Love the new look of the blog, too.
    Nina recently posted… Life in a Jar: Inspiration Over FearMy Profile

• April 7, 2013 Lady Jennie

I can’t believe I’m eating breakfast and I STILL clicked on your post! ;-)

My husband is a total DIYer, but me not so much.
    Lady Jennie recently posted… About WritingMy Profile

• June 17, 2013 My Pipe Guy

If you go to a hardware store, there are actually cheap tools to solve minor home problems. This saves you professional fees for plumbers, electricians and other technicians.

• November 10, 2013 karen medlin

Now that is handy, have a little that we are potty training and he is fasinated with the water after flushing, we have to watch, we have found a few hot wheels that we had to retrieve. Thank you for sharing