40 Tasks for 40 Days – #40DayProject

posted in: 40 Day Project 37 comments

40 Tasks for 40 Days

The 40 Day Project started yesterday and while I am a little teeny bit nervous, I am ready.  No more lazy around here.  I promised you my list of 40 things to do for 40 days and here it is.  Many of these things may be things you already do.  Fist bump.  You are all awesome.  For me, I fell behind in places and I let the internet make me think it was totally okay to be a wreck but I just wasn’t feeling it. So a lot of these 40 things have to do with getting back on a REAL schedule for keeping my house neat and clean with 3 kids.  But there is a lot more.

I tried to put all the tasks into categories and I’m really happy to see that I did pick things to help in each important area of my life. Not only do I focus on me and my family but on relationships outside this home as well as on my business and my dreams and on stretching my mind and of course, exercising my body.

Feel free to take a look and join in on any that you can rock in your life.  I think setting real tangible goals and making lists is incredibly helpful when trying to make a change.  Ideas are great, but I need something to look at and remind me not only of what I am supposed to be doing, but of the goal.

Okay, I need to add something.  I started to add links to some resources I am using and I will update this post as I come across great guides or ideas.  Who knows, I could end up with a whole fix yourself directory over here!  Also, I came to the conclusion last night after a long argument with myself and after 2 glasses of wine that I will allow myself to do 2 of something one day and not do it the next day.  So, it could be like 40 things, 40 times in 40 days.  Example, if I write and send 2 love notes today, I can check it off tomorrow too.  Sounds fair, right?

Without further ado, I present my list.

Soul

1. Pray

2. Meditate

3. Read the Bible or any religious text

4. Pay myself a compliment

5. Turn something negative into a positive

Mind

6. Read something I disagree with and take the time to craft a respectful comment. I can feel my brain stretching just thinking about this one.

7. Mindmap for 10 minutes.  Like when we were little and writing our first little books.  LOVE IT!  You can read about Mind Maps at Mel’s awesome site, MomComm.

8. Complete a puzzle in my puzzle book.  Do not give up! Keep my brain active.  Love me some logic problems.

9. Learn something new that has nothing to do with social media.

Body

10. Drink water.  Here is a handy little quiz that calculates how much water you should be drinking based on about 10 questions.  I am at 68 ounces a day.

11. Exercise for at least 30 minutes. Goes totally along with the Diet Bet I just started with the NGN group.  It started yesterday so feel free to jump on board!  Put $20 bucks in and lose 4% of your weight in 30 days to have your share of the pot, which is now over $3,000!

12. Experiment with style.  Wear something besides jeans and a black shirt. I am sure to have tons of help should I need to reach out for inspiration.  Two of my lovely friends here in Charlotte are stylists and they just rock.  Check out Catherine at Closet of Style and Whitley at The Queen City Style for some great ideas.  They are both moms too and make wonderful cheerleaders for those of us, like me, who need a little help in the fashion department!

13. Stretch for 10 minutes. Morning yoga with the kids!

14. Eat a vegetable other than lettuce or potatoes.  If you need some help on this one, and I always wonder how much is enough…Roo threw together some awesome fruit and veggie charts to show you just how much you, your kids and your man need!

Relationships

15. Talk to my husband about something other than our kids or our bills or the other everyday stuff.

16. Spend time alone, even if it is 10 minutes, with each of my kids.

17. Mail a love note to someone special (It could be you!).

18. Pay someone else (not in my family) a compliment and spread it far and wide.

19. Sex. Yes, every day. My husband wasn’t really listening when I was talking about this 40 Day Project and well, he started coming around when he heard this!

20. Call a friend on the phone just to say hi.

Art

21. Work on a project (I’ve got a lot started!).

22. Use my DSLR and not my phone for photos…and take a picture with me in it!  Check out this AWESOME Daily Self Portrait Project by Sarah Reinhart.

23. Use my DSLR on manual.  I love this Manual Photography Cheat Sheet from Living in the Stills.

24. Photograph something I love that I already have (Okay at this point I might just have to jump on the Tumblr wagon).

25. Make a color palette for web and print design projects.

Home

26. Clean out 1 cabinet, drawer, or closet.

27. Check something off my Home to Do List.

28. Laundry. One load, every day, washed, folded and put away.

29. Clean all clutter from kitchen counters.

30. Clean all clutter from desks.

31. Go through the mail. All of it.

32. Use the chore charts (mine included).

33. Disinfect, like scrub and make shine, something.

Writing & Blogging

34. Write a post.

35. Comment on at least 10 blogs.

36. Spend 30 minutes to 1 hour on my new site.

37. Write for 30 minutes for my eBook.

38. Check my reader and clear it.

39. Encourage a new blogger.

40. Work on my full organizational calendar / planner book.  There is a goal here, to have it ready for me and for you to download at the end of this 40 Day Project!

Don’t forget I will be using #40DayProject to share my journey and if you choose to participate in any way please go ahead and use the hashtag or tag me so I can see you and give you a yeah baby!

• February 14, 2013 Leigh Ann

I love how you’re using it to get back on track. It’s easy for us to commiserate with others online about how crazy our lives are and how much of a mess things are figuratively and literally, but it doesn’t mean we have to accept it!
    Leigh Ann recently posted… “Come hither to my playroom” and other Valentine’s Day goodnessMy Profile

• February 15, 2013 Kristin Shaw (Two Cannoli)

Yes! I’m thinking I need a list too. I’m so disorganized and unfocused this year.
      Kristin Shaw (Two Cannoli) recently posted… Step forward and listenMy Profile

• February 16, 2013 Brittany

It is ALL about the list for me. This time I already got a little lost so I am headed to Staples and making a full on chart out of this! Oh yeah!

• February 14, 2013 Galit Breen

Oh wow, you. Way to come back with a bang!

Can’t wait to see how this all unfolds!

xo
    Galit Breen recently posted… The Nicest Thing I’ve Ever DoneMy Profile

• February 14, 2013 Brittany

Let us hope I don’t just fall asleep for another 40 days when it is over, right?

• February 14, 2013 Arnebya

This is absolutely marvelous. There are so many that I agree with and want to do with you (and hell, maybe I just will.)
    Arnebya recently posted… SometimesMy Profile

• February 14, 2013 Heather

LOVE the list, inspiring. Makes me want to start something, or a list of my own, I heart lists. Love the ideas, thanks for sharing it. Winter can definitely start to get to me and my counters in my kitchen…yeah I think I shall go tackle those now.

• February 14, 2013 Wendy

This is so inspirational! I wish I had seen it earlier so I could join in. Always two steps behind.
    Wendy recently posted… I Seek Comfort through Eating – Whole Lotta Love LinkupMy Profile

• February 14, 2013 Brittany

No pick something and join in! There is never a time when we can’t look ahead 40 days. I just happened to start this, with no warning to anyone, over lent and so I chose 40 days. Now I really like the number and I think the 40 day project will continue beyond this go big or go home phase. I would love to have you along!

• February 14, 2013 Alison

Go you, I’m so excited for you!
    I do a fair few things already, here on your list, so I feel somewhat organized. I really should write stuff down, whether as a daily goal or something to look forward to/ do (aside from my daily to-dos in my planner, half of which I’m failing to do!).
    Excited to see you on the other side of 40 days.
    Alison recently posted… Putting Thought, Paying Mind, Present For, And ProudMy Profile

• February 14, 2013 Brittany

I wondered if I should tell you all some of the many things I do actually do every day so you would not think I had just completely lost it over the past couple of months. I am organized, almost paperless, great with my planners that I should post for everyone, awesome at finding fun and creative things to do with my kids blah blah right. I know that everyone has areas they rock and areas they have let roll. I think we have had this write stuff down convo before. Go forth and create a list my sweet friend!

• February 14, 2013 Doctor G

This is truly inspirational!!!

• February 15, 2013 Brittany

Thanks! I am making my project board now and it is a lot but I think I will grow a LOT just from trying and I will figure out what things are actually super easy once I make them habit and what things will really take time.

• February 14, 2013 trisha

Im trying to be super good on that comment thing! I think its great to do lists like this because it keeps you in check with a busy life!

trisha
    trisha recently posted… Take your TV Back with Dish..and iPad Mini Giveaway!My Profile

• Love these so much! Sex everyday for 40 days, though? I think I’d have to keep that one off my list. That’s one thing my husband would totally hold me to. lol
    Kristi {at} Live & Love Out Loud recently posted… Creative Photo Project Ideas: Daily Self-Portrait ProjectMy Profile

• February 15, 2013 Brittany

Kristi, I am giving you an award for reading the whole darn list. You are the first person that noticed that one. We had really fallen off the wagon with 3 little kids and well, I really felt like the scheduling thing wouldn’t work because I would try to reschedule! I am making my big huge project board now and I know that every day for all of these things will be a stretch, but I KNOW that if I try I will grow immensely as a person from this project. Oh and FYI, do not start exercising like a crazy person every day and having sex every day. My whole body is hating me and it is only day 3!

• February 15, 2013 sarah sundayspill

Brittany! Thank you for including my project on your list :) wow, so honored! I really hope other people give it a whirl because in just the few weeks I’ve been doing it, MAN I’ve learned a ton in the way of self-confidence and self-assurance. Plus, it’s just fun and creative. And did I mention fun? Yeah. THANKS again for spreading the word. Such a well thought out list :)

• February 15, 2013 Brittany

I want to try it! The little piece that connects my camera to my tripod broke and I cannot find a replacement so I guess I need a new tripod. I am loving that little manual cheat sheet too but I still might just have to ask you some questions!

• February 15, 2013 Carolyn Y

This is a great list. Some of this I already do, some of it I should do. Especially chat more to my husband, but less about the kids!
    Carolyn Y recently posted… Getting Ready For Vacation #iPPPMy Profile

• February 15, 2013 Angie Kinghorn

Damn, girl! Love the list, and love you, too!

If I had 40 hours in each day, then maybe I could do this…as it is, you’ve inspired me to set some goals of my own. A few less, though. :)
    Angie Kinghorn recently posted… Parental guidanceMy Profile

• February 16, 2013 Brittany

Some of the tasks are so short though it is just being purposeful in including them in my every day! I’m calling on your for phone support so best be ready!

• February 15, 2013 Elaine A.

I’m with Angie, the inspiration is there but I’m not sure I could do it all like you are. I’m a tad overwhelmed today with the things I need to get done RIGHT NOW! so maybe that has something to do with it.

Wonderful list! I wish you much luck and love while accomplishing it all! :)

• February 16, 2013 Brittany

Thanks Elaine! It was because I was feeling so overwhelmed that I let everything get to me and then just stopped. It was really crazy and it was upsetting me. I am not worrying too much about 100% completion just really enjoying checking things off the list and patting myself on the back!

• February 15, 2013 Jennifer

This is awesome! I believe you can do it! I can’t wait to see how things go.
    Jennifer recently posted… Shopping Made Easy {Working Mom Wisdom}My Profile

• February 16, 2013 Robin

Wait, so you’re doing all those things every day for 40 days? Go you! I love the idea. Not sure I could do it. Especially the sex part. ;)
    Robin recently posted… Explore: Life in Pictures, Vol. 2My Profile

• February 16, 2013 Brittany

Hehe ding ding 2nd person to read the whole post. I figure anyone who did would catch the sex part! And it can only help if I can do it so hey, I’ll give it the old college try. And I think we might have actually done that in college so I’ve got a shot right? Thanks so much for the support!

• February 16, 2013 Darla

You are going to be busy! It is an ambitious list and looks like a pathway to peace and the calm that accompanies that.
    Might I suggest the revised Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren for your religious text? It is set up in a 40 Day format with each day being quite doable. I am going through it now and really getting a lot from it. He happens to be our pastor here in CA, but he is a man with an incredible vision for helping others find out ‘what on earth am I here for’.
    I enjoy your blog. I wish I knew you better, but I feel like I have known you since day 1 via your mom!
    Darla

• February 16, 2013 Brittany

Thank you Darla. I hear so much about you and your family from my dear mom too that I feel like we do know each other. I know that many nights you have all been in my prayers. Thank you so much for your recommendation! I will totally check it out. Right now I think I have my 40 days of materials but I want to keep this 40 day thing going over and over!

• February 16, 2013 Lady Jennie

This is a really inspiring list! I was curious what it would all be about, but it looks very well-balanced.
    Lady Jennie recently posted… Cupcakes in ParisMy Profile

• February 16, 2013 Brittany

Thank Jennie! I was sort of wondering too but I think many of the items are small but important and I also expect to get more and more close to 100% completion towards the end of the project. Um, and I have to talk to you! We just started planning our summer 2014 in Paris – 6 weeks! And I would love to get your input!

• February 16, 2013 Amy

I love this kind of stuff and, although I’m a little behind, I’ll totally figure out how to catch up. Do you do all 40 every day or one thing a day for 40 days? It looked like some could be either or both… Great idea!
    Amy recently posted… Create A Header Using PicMonkeyMy Profile

• February 16, 2013 Brittany

Amy, the goal for me is to do each every day but I know that I will not be 100% every day and that’s okay. I made a big chart that I will share and actually I except that at the beginning it will be a bit choppy but I hope to see many more checked boxes towards the half way mark and through the end. I have this really cool concept in my brain and should it all come together I will organize this all fully and offer it here on the site. But hey, come on and join in! Believe me I would love some company!

• February 16, 2013 haven jones

I just finished reading your list and I gotta say “YOU GO GIRL”!!!!! At 1st I thought you ment to do ONE of these a day for 40 days, then realised you were to do 40 EVERY day! I sure don’t have anywhere close to your stamina!

• February 17, 2013 Nina

Love the idea of this project and look forward to following along in some way, shape, or form. This is awesome!
    Nina recently posted… This is Five and My Final Twitter PostMy Profile