40 Days to Change this Life

posted in: 40 Day Project 19 comments

Today marks the beginning of Lent, a period for Christians to spend time in prayer, reflection, repentance and self-denial.  This 40 days leads up to Good Friday, the day Jesus Christ was crucified.  Many people give something up for Lent and of course, we all hear what people will abstain from for weeks before Lent actually begins.  As can be expected, the level of self denial ranges from giving up Cheetos to Facebook to Diet Coke to actually fasting for the 40 day period.

If I am being honest, I have never made a big thing about Lent and now, being in an interfaith marriage to a fabulous Jewish man with our 3 very young children, this is the hardest time of year for our family.  The resurrection of Jesus Christ and really, the belief that this is what brings salvation, is at the core of the difference in our faiths and is THE core of Christianity. So, yeah, the mood here can go from mildly uncomfortable to incredibly awkward really fast.  So, now that you have the very brief background, you may understand how drastic this year will be for me…I am throwing my hat in the 40 day ring, just perhaps in a slightly different manner than many others.

You see, it has been 45 days since I have written a word here.  This place that is like a home away from home.  My words left me as I let life get me down and kick my ass.  Let me tell you, it may take 28 days to make a new habit, and I have to say, if you ignore something for 28 days it gets harder and harder to come back to it.   Well, that is all changing.  It took 45 days for me to decide to spend the next 40 days kicking my own ass into gear.

#40 Day Project

This is the start of my 40 Day Project

So, what is it that I am giving up? I am denying myself the laziness that came upon me when I let myself get overwhelmed by my own life.  All of my ideas, my passion, my energy, my goals…somehow they made me tired instead of excited.  The longer I went without moving forward, the easier it became to fall behind.  This is Sloth, and if you believe in the devil, this is part of his plan.  When we give up, all is lost. For those who know me, laziness would never come to mind if asked to describe me.  I suppose that what seemed like a lack of focus or concentration became a pass on execution.  I did not stop moving, I just stopped getting things done.

What I am doing is committing to actually DO a number of things, 40 actually, for 40 days.   Some are very small and some, even now, seem impossible, but they will all be life changing in the end.  So, I am denying myself the right to give up and really, denying myself the chance to fail at the things I care most deeply about.  I know that 40 days is both a very long time and an incredibly short time in terms of life.  I can do this.

So, should the devil present me with a challenge I would pull my fiddle out and take that bet, because I am about to kick my ass into gear. Fire on the Mountain, people. Thanks to the Charlie Daniels Band for that one.

I Challenge You

Whether you have given up something for Lent or you don’t do Lent because you aren’t Christian, you can still do this.  Choose something to do for 40 days that will make your life better.  Making you better makes the world better.  I hope I do not need a cheer squad, but I ask for one.  Every person that ever needs me to cheer them on should know that I will be there.  Every single time, I will be there.

Take Action!  Make Change! You are strong and it starts with you. We can be in this together.

But Where are the 40 Day Details?

Aha! Tomorrow I will share the 40 acts for 40 days and perhaps one of them will be on your list too.  I can tell you right now that doing a load of laundry every day so it doesn’t make me cry when there a 5 loads is on there so there is something for everyone.  I will also be using the #40DayProject hashtag when sharing, so you can follow along or participate this way.  Or just say, Go Brittany!  I swear it would mean everything to me.

Here we go! And as promised, here is link to my 40 Tasks for 40 Days.

Latest posts by Brittany (see all)

• February 13, 2013 Alison

Go Brittany!
    I think that the very fact you’ve resolved to this, is already a big step to getting it done, whatever the 40 acts may be.
    Look forward to following you on this great journey!
    Alison recently posted… Putting Thought, Paying Mind, Present For, And ProudMy Profile

• February 14, 2013 Brittany

I think that making this list of things will help me to get it done instead of having some loose set of things I want to change. You are such a good friend and I have always had your support. I cannot thank you enough. And now I can send you mail! Wahoo!

• February 13, 2013 Alma

Found you through the amazing Alison.
    This was inspiring ! One of my goals this year is to surround myself with inspiring people like you. You have a great attitude and I will be following you and rooting for ya.
    Alma recently posted… Nourishing the SpiritMy Profile

• February 14, 2013 Brittany

I am so glad I found you Alma and thank you! My attitude has been, well, suffering to put it nicely but I am making myself come back. I cannot wait to get started and encourage others too!

• February 13, 2013 Greta

Go, Brittany! I can’t wait to read your challenges. You’ve definitely gotten me thinking about what I could do to be stronger.
    Greta recently posted… Good, Clean Fun. #iPPPMy Profile

• February 13, 2013 Angie Kinghorn

You’re sharing *all* your 40 day challenges, huh? Go Brittany!!!

You’ve really got me thinking about this.
    Angie Kinghorn recently posted… The VD Special: one hell of a cocktailMy Profile

• February 14, 2013 Brittany

I am, although as you may imagine, not all the details ;)

• February 14, 2013 Kristin Shaw (Two Cannoli)

Exciting! I am going to give up swearing, complaining, and am planning to give away at least 40 items during the Lenten season. And I’m not even Catholic!
    Can’t wait to read more.
    Kristin Shaw (Two Cannoli) recently posted… Step forward and listenMy Profile

• February 14, 2013 Brittany

That will be big! The only giving up thing on my list is yelling and I thought of making the list all things TO do because that is sometimes simpler, you know? But, not yelling is so important to me and I may as well throw it in the pot! Good luck!

• February 14, 2013 Lady Jennie

Fresh starts are so invigorating. Great job! Can’t wait to see what challenges you come up with.
    Lady Jennie recently posted… Cupcakes in ParisMy Profile

• February 14, 2013 Brittany

Thank you Jennie! It is funny because I have done the fresh start thing before and ended up overwhelmed by all these big plans. This time, I am doing more of an action plan and hoping for much better and more lasting change!

• February 14, 2013 Jennifer

I think giving up on giving up is pretty much the best idea ever. This is kind of what I have going on for the entire year. I chose it as a word, control, but it is basically the same idea. I want to kick my ass into gear and take control of myself and to stop making excuses. The time for that is over.
    Jennifer recently posted… 6 Things I Love About DavidMy Profile

• February 14, 2013 Miss Britt

GO you!! I’m actually about 40 days into a 100 day challenge that sounds pretty similar. I called it 100 Days of Action. :-)
    Miss Britt recently posted… How Renting Makes Me Re-Evaluate Who I AmMy Profile

• February 14, 2013 Brittany

I saw that late last night on my phone and I am rooting for you! 100 days of action is awesome!

• February 14, 2013 Kimberly

It is so hard to come back to our little homes eh?
    “The longer I went with out moving forward, it was much easier to fall behind.” exactly that. Exactly.
    I wish you all the best in those 40 days!! And can’t wait to see your challenges!

• February 14, 2013 Laura

Go Brittan! What a great project to take on. I’ll definitely be cheering for you as I deny myself something for the next 40 days (except I kind of failed today. Back on the horse tomorrow).

I just want to give you some hugs about the whole inter-faith thing. My stomach felt sick as I read those opening paragraphs. My husband and I are both Christian, but he is Catholic and I am Protestant. The premise of our faith is still the same, but the differences still stand out and have made things “awkward” at times. It can be so hard when you love someone so much but they can’t come to terms with something else you love.

So good luck over these next 40 days, both personally and within your family. xo!
    Laura recently posted… Love You To DeathMy Profile

• February 14, 2013 Laura

Go Brittany! What a great project to take on. I’ll definitely be cheering for you as I deny myself something for the next 40 days (except I kind of failed today. Back on the horse tomorrow).

Laura recently posted… Love You To DeathMy Profile

• February 14, 2013 Arnebya

Go Brittany! I am rooting for you, regardless of the things you do in these 40 days, big or small.
    Arnebya recently posted… SometimesMy Profile