DIY: Disney Autograph Book

posted in: Disney, Travel 77 comments

DIY Disney Autograph Book

Mickey Character Page

While at Disney with children under a certain age or grownups like me who totally dig character greetings – the autographs are everything.  While most of the books Disney puts out are amazing, their autograph books just did not do it for me and my small children.  Some are way too small, some are a little boring and none that I could find have individual pages for each character.  So I made our own autograph books that are meant to become scrapbooks when you return home.   Someone in every line asked where I had bought these books and where they could get them so I thought I would show you how to make them yourself!

Disney Autogrpah Book

Kids LOVE having a page to show to each character and it got them extra time with most characters, who loved looking at their very own page.  Sophia actually got more than a minute with Aladdin and Jasmine!

Jasmine and Aladdin Character Greeting

Chip ’n’ Dale, the Stepsisters, the Mad Hatter, Marie and so many others made a big deal over these books.  Before the trip, the kids (2 and 3) flipped through their books every day getting ready to meet them.  It helped them identify all the awesome characters they met and lessened any fear at some of the larger ones like Goofy or Tigger or the Beast!  The books are sturdy and totally sharpie proof so you can bring your biggest sharpies for the Plutos of the world and their big hands!

Pluto Signs Disney Book

I used Microsoft PowerPoint for this but you could use any program that allows you to format your fonts and insert pictures. It is really simple!

First, decide which characters you would like to have a special page in your book.  You can use Disney guidebooks or Intercot has a simple list of which characters are where.  My favorite place to check out character greeting information is at the Disney Parks Character Blog, written by a gal named Kim who is expecting a baby!  She gives as much information about where to find each character and how likely you are to find them.  You can easily search for any character.  I listed basically all the characters I thought we had the chance to meet at Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Animal Kingdom.  I am now adding Hollywood Studios pages for our upcoming trip.  Altogether I created 55 character pages with Princesses sharing a page with their prince and Duos like Chip ‘n’ Dale or Lilo & Stitch also sharing a page.  The kids met almost 60 characters so it was a big success!

Open a new document in portrait mode and set your margins to 8 1/2″ by 9″ .  I am making an 8″x8″ scrapbook.  If you wanted a different size you could adjust but this size is really perfect for backpacks and the 8×8 size is great for a child’s memory book.  You want enough room at the top to bind your book and leaving the width at 8 1/2 will save your page edges and a little money on having the paper cut.

Create your cover page and begin to add just the character names to each page thereafter.  You want at least a full inch left at the top of the page.  Make sure to add any special event your are celebrating to the front page.  Lots of people and characters at the parks do extra nice things for birthday boys and girls!  I added “Celebrating Miles’ 2nd Birthday” to his cover and he showed everyone.  He loved it!

Once you have added all the characters you want, it’s time to get a little creative.  I searched Google for the right fonts for each character to make the pages look unique.  All of the fonts I used are free.  Here are a couple examples.  Mickey is Mickey font, Chip ‘n’ Dale is Gill Sans Ultra Bold, Mulan is Mulan font and Winnie the Pooh is the Pooh font.  I was able to find many exact fonts and some that were close.  For the princesses, I found fonts that were similar to the actual Disney fonts and looked right on the pages when one was not exact.

Update!  Here are 35 Awesome Disney Fonts with links to download each one!

Disney Book Page Examples

Once you have your character names in fonts and colors that you like, it is time to find pictures.  I searched the Internet for images and because this is for personal use, that is perfectly fine.  For many of these characters you could also just use stickers but I really liked being able to size the images and have them saved in the document.  Some are of better quality than others, but hey…finding a good quality jpeg of Brer Bear is not an easy task.  Don’t worry about this…remember, it’s for your kids and you will be decorating the pages anyway.

Finally, you are ready to print your book.  Start with just one page and print it out on heavy card stock.  You can buy packs at any office supply store.  My printer will print on this so I did it at home but you could also send your document to a local Kinko’s or Staples to have it printed.  Either way, print a test page and make sure the alignment is right.  You need room on the top for binding and want to make sure that your contents fall within the 8″ width of what will be your final pages.  Once you have okay-ed your layout, go ahead and print.  Because of the heavy paper and the amount of ink, I made sure to individually feed my pages into the rear feed of my printer.  I did not want any pages catching or smeared ink.

When you have your pages complete you are ready to take them to your local Staples or Kinkos to have them bound and protected.  You could do this at home with a 3 ring binder too and not cut your pages down until you return but this way comes out much neater and easier to carry.  You want to ask for your pages to be trimmed to 9″ and then bound with spiral.  It only costs a couple of dollars to cut all the pages and about $10 to bind them.  I had the cover and back done in heavy plastic, clear on the front and black on the back.  It was amazing.  The kids looked at these books for more than a month before or trip and nothing ripped or was destroyed.  After the trip we had a little water under the front cover but inside the pages were perfect!

Disney Book Covers

When you have your books you are ready for the parks!  Throw a bunch of big colorful sharpies in a plastic bag and go!  You will have a sturdy book with places for everyone to sign and enough room for special notes if you get in good with a character or two!

Snow White Character Greeting

Get the cutest pictures possible and head home ready to make an awesome scrapbook with your kids that includes their autographs!

Tinkerbell Character Greeting

When you get home grab a piece of 8×8 scrapbook paper and take it with you to your local office store to have the paper cut down perfectly.   Find some cute scrapbooks and purchase as many pages as you need.  The kids picked theirs out at Michael’s.  I also purchased some big paper packs of bold colored solid sheets for the scrapbooks.

Scrapbook Template

Then have fun assembling your scrapbooks!  The best thing about this is that you can combine the autograph pages with scrapbook pages for your non character memories.  Everything can be in one place and the kids can help decorate them.

Disney Scrapbook

Here are a couple shots of the inside pages.  We got some sticker packs from the craft store and are adding our own little handwritten memories as well.  My kids are very young (now 1, 2 and 4) but the older they are the more creative they can get themselves!  We love these books and spend lots of time flipping through them and adding decorations or memories as we think of them!

Disney Autograph Pages

I hope you can find a way to get to Disney with your kids.  If you have the chance, it is a magical experience.  Kids of all ages (that means you too) will love it!  Creating these books was simple and helped to make wonderful memories last.  I hope you will let me know if you have any questions and please tell me if you make on of these yourself!  I would love to see your work!

Oh, by the way, we make simple pages whenever we will meet characters anywhere and they are always a big hit.  Busch Gardens, Six Flags…if there are characters…we want autographs!

• January 31, 2011 vodka logic

They are really adorable. Wonder if my older kids would want them if we ever got to Disney.

• January 31, 2011 Brittany

Thanks. Seriously, I love them and would so do this for any Disney scrapbook. I think older kids could actually make them really cool looking and I saw a bunch of older teenagers and even grown ups waiting for pictures with characters. It’s just good plain fun!

• January 31, 2011 Melissa {adventuroo}

So fun! I really, really want to take the kids to Disney. Gotta start saving now though!
    Melissa {adventuroo} recently posted… Momcomm Guest Post- Editorial vs Advertorial… What’s the DifferenceMy Profile

• January 31, 2011 Brittany

It’s so great! I got the cutest pics of Violet at 12 weeks old with all the characters! We are going again on Sunday b/c hubs has a conference so the hotel is free and so is a lot of food. The first time we went we drove and at least since we stayed at a Disney resort and got the dining plan and NO souveneirs the cost was known before we went and we spent almost nothing while there. We went during one of the least busy weeks so we got a great deal and the crowds were very manageable!

• January 31, 2011 Janice (5 Minutes for Mom)

FABULOUS!!!! What a great project! :)
    Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) recently posted… Hasbro Family Game Night 3 GiveawayMy Profile

• January 31, 2011 Brittany

Thanks Janice – anything to keep those memories for the kids and it is nice for the younger kids who might not have seen the movies or tv shows! Now they can show the whole shebang to everyone!

p.s. so great to see you at #blissdom!

• January 31, 2011 Mama Fuss

This was such a good idea! I wish I’d seen your finished product before we went to Disney this past fall – I would have loved to do something similar for my daughter and nieces. Next time… we live fairly close to Orlando, so I know we’ll be taking my daughter again soon.

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Mama Fuss recently posted… Good-bye Floppy FriendMy Profile

• February 1, 2011 Heather (One Take On Life)

What a great idea! We are going over Spring break – wondering if we will be able to get autographs then I know it will be a zoo. I am think my 6.5 year old son would even enjoy this more than my 2 year old daughter!
    Thanks for the great tips for Disney, and the other website to visit, I could spend hours just looking at all the fun stuff to look forward too. Have fun when you go!

• February 2, 2011 Brittany

Yes you will be able to get autographs. You may not want to wait in some of the character greeting spot lines but all over the parks characters randomly come out and the lines form fast but they are no more than 15 minutes and you can see the characters the whole time. I fund for meeeting Mickey and his crew you will have great luck if you hit the Epoct charcter greeting spot right when it opens. It is air conditioned in there and there is TV for the kids and there are bathrooms and all that good stuff. You meet Mickey. Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto. And as for your your 2 year old…Miles turned 2 at Disney and his autogrpah book was his favorite thing! It really helped him get into the trip and he showed it to everyone!

• February 1, 2011 Making It Work Mom

Great idea. We are going to Disney next December (seems so far away), but I know that my Princess would love one of these books. My older two love the pin collecting! And you are right the books they sell at the park don’t really do the whole autograph thing justice.
    Making It Work Mom recently posted… You Ever Have One of Those DaysMy Profile

• February 2, 2011 Brittany

Sophia wants to pin collect this time too but I think that it might be too much. If there are no waits to do it…I might. I will have a lot more Disney posts coming so hopefully sme of them ill be helpful for you!

• February 1, 2011 Bryna

You really are SUPER creative!!!! I love this and will certainly refer back in a few years when I bring my girls to Disney! :)
    Bryna recently posted… Nolas Going on VacationMy Profile

• February 1, 2011 Paula

Found you on Mom Bloggers and I am impressed that you are still blogging (the post I found was from 2009). I am also impressed with your site. Really well designed and very sweet.

I cannot follow you on GFC as my FB account was disabled due to hackers. I will find you on Twitter AND I will come back when FB gets my account up and going again.

My blog is dedicated to infant stimulation. I hope you will visist and like it enough to follow: http://www.babysmartees.blogspot.com

Look for me on Twitter, @babysmartees. Heading over there to follow you.

Have a great night, Paula

• August 28, 2011 anne

This is wonderful! I have a friend who is visiting disney world and wants to take something like this. I love how you split the project into two – an autograph book that can later be used in the photo album. Great idea! Any chance you would be willing to sell or share your powerpoint file? Thanks!

• September 19, 2011 Jamie

Hi,
    I think this is a wonderful idea! I am and 14 yearsold and i am going to california and disneyland in march with my mom and I! I really want to make my own, but i really dont know where to start?! I know its a long time till i go so i have plenty of time to make one! I do not have my own printer and livei n canada so i am going to use a staples to print everything. I was wondering if you could PLEASE help me make this or show me alittle more! I would really LOVE to make one of these!
    I have microsoft powerpoint but i dont really no how to use it. My eail is : jamie8@hotmail.com THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!

• September 19, 2011 Jamie

Yes that is a good idea anne. Is there a way that you could sell or share your file so we could edit it?

• January 25, 2012 Ginger

I was wondering if you had a good character list for disneyland thank you

• March 19, 2012 mini

Hey, what a great idea!! Im just beginning to make mine for the first time. Im taking 3 kids aged 4-9 and they’ll be getting a book each. The only problem I have is arranging the pictures. am unable to use microsoft powerpoint and cant see to get the pictures to do what I want anywhere else. Is it because my pictures are too small? I found them on disneysite clip art. Any ideas would be greatfully recieved as we leave in a week!!!

• April 21, 2012 Kelly

This is super cute! I not too crafty but I am thinking about making autograph books for our next trip. I may give this a try. Thanks for the info. :0)

• April 22, 2012 Brittany

Yay! It is not hard at all and feel free to contact me if you need any advice!

• May 27, 2012 Evie

Thanks for such a great idea! I wish I would have found this last week, I would have made one for my niece who is at Disney World right now! I am going to Disney World this summer for my honeymoon and will be working on making one for our honeymoon!

• June 1, 2012 Brittany

Have fun! and good luck! It’s a fun project. I bet you could find pics of a lot of the princesses in their wedding garb. That would be cool. Congratulations!

• June 3, 2012 Michelle

I am looking to get 3 autograph books for our upcoming trip in 3 wks. This is exactly what I am looking for. I have been searching ebay and etsy for something similar. I do have some questions for you if you have time to email me at mjacks88@yahoo.com. Thanks so much.

• June 27, 2012 Theresa

Hi! This is awesome! You did a great job and I love that you then made the 8×8 scrapbook. I’ve been looking for a great Tutorial to share with my clients and followers. Would you mind if I shared this link on my Facebook page?

• July 24, 2012 Ben

This is a GREAT project! Do you have a list of the fonts you used for the characters? Or did you save your PowerPoint files? I’m looking for the fonts and it seems like this is the hardest part. Could you email me your PP file?
    My email is:
    benpc1@gmail.com
    Awesome work!!
    Thanks,
    Ben

• July 26, 2012 Brittany

Thanks Ben! I get so many requests for this I am going ahead and making a full list with links to be posted this week. Have fun on your trip!

• August 9, 2012 Brittany

Hi Ben! I just posted a list of the 35 Disney Fonts (or closest I found) hope it helps! The link is now in this post.

• July 31, 2012 lindsay

how many pages were in each book? I’ll be checking back for your charector list- are there any you didn’t see or wish you would have added? I may add a few blank pages on the end in case we see any unexpected ones! Thanks for this- GREAT idea! :)

• August 19, 2012 Autumn

Hi Brittany! This is an awesome idea! I have actually already started one for my both of my daughter’s. (One turning 3 at Disney and the other will be 13 months at Disney) I would love to ask you a couple of questions. I have 37 character pages so far and I am missing Chip n Dale. The font doesn’t seem to be free. I wouldn’t mind to email you my work so far so you could let me know what characters I should definitely add to my file. Also, did you create a few blank pages at the end? Would you care to email me?
    Thanks!
    Autumn

• August 28, 2012 Angie

So when u got back you had these cut down to an 8×8 to put in a scrapbook? We are going in 2 weeks and I would love to do this!!! I’m not too creative so hopefully I can figure this out!!

• August 28, 2012 Brittany

Yes. You could easily use a paper cutter and do it yourself too. That’s why I left room on the top. So that the binding would fit but could be cut off when we got home. If you do take it into a store I would take one scrapbook page sleeve as well as one 8×8 page insert so you can show them what you need and test out the pages. Good luck!

• September 4, 2012 Krysia

I absolutely love this idea! I’m actually in the middle of putting the book together … but had a question. I am having a hard time finding pictures for the characters that are good quality pictures – and that print nicely. Where did you find the pictures?

• September 6, 2012 Brittany

Oh my goodness I scoured the internet for weeks. I will try to pull together a list of sources. You saw my post on the fonts, right? Finding the pictures was tough and some of the older ones like Br’er Bear are not perfect at all. Okay, so sometimes on the disney sites you can find media photos that are totally only for personal use if you can get them but they are perfect.

• September 10, 2012 Misty Beams

Hi ya — thanks so much for sharing this idea !! I am a photographer and the fam jam is going to Disney in October!! I have been driving myself crazy for a photo/autograph book that would fit my needs. Love when the super crafty share !!

• September 21, 2012 Kris

do you have a an updated list like what you were talking about in the blog, we want to get every character possible, including rapunzel and merida. Thanks :)

Super cute btw

• September 25, 2012 Brittany

I am working on an updated list. You can meet Merida in the Fairytale Garden by the castle where Rapunzel used to be. I am figuring out where Rapunzel is now. I will hopefully have an updated list soon. I did provide some links to sites with characters. Did you check those?

• September 30, 2012 Janine

Thank you so much for the idea! My son will be two next month and we just returned from his first visit to Disney. I decided to make him an autograph book rather than purchase one, using your guidelines, and it was a huge hit!! Everyone kept asking me where I got it! Not only did my son love the book and asking the characters to sign it but looking through the pages and naming the characters kept him busy while we were standing in line. Keep writing, your tips are great! Thanks again :)

• October 7, 2012 Brittany

I am so glad it was such a big hit! I have another idea for my next trip to Disney with Autograph cards to be made into a photo book. I can’t wait to share that one too!

• October 6, 2012 lvie

thank you so much for sharing your awesome work… Going this coming december to celebrate my daughters 6th bday and been planning to make an autograph/scrapbook but dont know how to start… very thankful that i found your blog… more power and Godbless! thanks a bunch!

• October 7, 2012 Brittany

Good luck and just let me know if you have any questions! I hope your daughter has a fabulous 6th birthday!

• October 28, 2012 Judy

I love these autograph books! I was thinking that I would just buy them at Disney, but after seeing these, I decided to make them. We are going on our first Disney trip at the end of November with my 3 kids and these books are getting them so excited to meet all the characters. I even purchased the 8″x8″ scrapbooks for when we get back so they can each make one of their trip. Thanks for sharing!

• October 30, 2012 Brittany

Yay! I hope you have a wonderful time! We will be there the end of November with our 3 kids too! Wouldn’t that be funny if I saw you with your autograph books!

• November 4, 2012 Melissa

We are going the 17th thru 25th of this month and LOVE this idea…I am a scrapper and look forward to doing it. :)

• November 4, 2012 Autumn

Hi Brittany. I checked back with you over a month ago to see if you had received my email with the character book I was working on. I have never heard back from you. I was really excited when you offered to take a look at it and help me see what characters I needed to add. I had hope to already have this completed so my soon-to-be 3 year old could be getting familiar with the characters she does not know. And also for my 1 year old. We are leaving after Thanksgiving. I would greatly appreciate a response either way…if you are going to help or if your not via email….autummmassengill@gmail.com Thanks!

• November 8, 2012 Nichole

That’s such a great idea! I’ve never really gotten the allure of the autograph book, but pairing the autographs with the photos of the kids & characters? I’m sold.
    Nichole recently posted… I reserve a mama’s right to smooch him at willMy Profile

• November 12, 2012 Amie

Question for you! I am trying to work on these as we leave in 2 weeks for disney world and how do i get to use the fonts after i download them?

• November 28, 2012 Allison

Super cute! I do have one question – Is it a pain to have to flip to find the correct page for each character? Seems like if you have a lot of pages, you’d have to flip around a lot. (This will be our first trip, so maybe it isn’t as hectic as I’m imagining at character spotting!) . . . Would love your insight as I’m in the process of trying to make a book. Thanks!

• November 30, 2012 Brittany

It’s not a pain but I have the characters grouped. So, main characters first like Mickey Minnie Donald Goofy. Then all the princesses. Then movie and Disney Jr characters. I actually arrange the movie / disney jr part by parks too. There are different places where you meet different characters and so I put those together in the books. The kids spend so much time in line flipping through the books that we have never had a problem finding the character. Also, the lines for character greetings are never empty, so you will have time to find your page. Have fun!

• January 7, 2013 merrilyn

Thank you SO much! I procrastinated making autograph books until the night before we left for Disneyland but your tips and fonts SAVED THE DAY and made it so I could get them done in time!

• January 12, 2013 Brittany

Awesome! Please send me a pic. I would love to see how they turned out! I hope you had a fantastic time!

• January 14, 2013 Joanne G

I love the idea of directly using the autographs in a scrapbook when you get home! My now 9 year old has a Disney autograph book that she used when she was 5. We had the characters sign on the right page, and then when we got home, we pasted a picture of the character with my daughter on the left page. I might have to dig up some of those pix and print them on the appropriate pages they’ll sign on. It might not be so good to do that with the princesses and fairies, I guess, though!

• February 8, 2013 Shannon L

This is such a great idea. I am hoping to get us to Disney next year. My kids will be 3 and 6. I think they would love this. I will be doing this. Thanks so much for sharing.

• February 8, 2013 Jocelyn

You read my mind! I have been looking for autograph books that can be purchased that had a spot to put pictures next to the autographs. Needless to say, I could not find one. I found you on pinterest. This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks for the post. We are taking our five year old for the first time to Disneyland in two weeks. Yea!

• I’ve never thought to make my own autograph book! What a great idea! We’d love for you to link up at our Disney Craft Making Monday http://wp.me/p2om0b-qz
    Kristi at Disney Insider Tips recently posted… Disney Craft Making MondayMy Profile

• June 12, 2013 Tammie

We just got back from Disney with my daughter, son-in-law and two grandkids, Maci Rose (5) and Carter (3). I used your idea for an autograph book. I made theirs a little bigger than yours, but the result was the same. Everyone asked about them. I was even asked how much I would charge to make one! I am in the process of making a scrapbook. I made each of their books different because Maci Rose wanted princesses and no “Toy Story” characters and Carter wanted “Toy Story” and a few others. Should I make them separate memory books?

• June 28, 2013 Katie

Hey could you possibly send me a list of the characters that you put in your book? I am starting to make one now but I’m having trouble thinking of all the characters to put in it. Thanks! you can email me at kparoskie4@gmail.com

I will send you pictures of mine when I am done. I plan on doing it all by using my Cricut machine.

• September 26, 2013 Rachel

Love your idea and I am currently working on two autograph books but I have a couple questions. Did you have the characters sign two sided or single? If single…how many pages is reasonable?

• October 2, 2013 Brittany

I had them sign single side as I later have the binding cut off so the kids can make scrap book pages. Also, even with cardstock permanent markers can bleed through. I do have versions of the book where I combined Mickey and Minnie on one page, the fairies on one page (you never meet all of them) etc. But either way the book is manageable. I think I have about 70 characters total (more like 100 if you include the characters like Abu on the Aladdin page who you will not meet but is in the parades.
      Brittany recently posted… DIY Plumbing Pipe TableMy Profile

• February 12, 2014 Liza Voos

Ever think about making these and selling them?! Not crafty at all over here!!

• February 21, 2014 Brittany

I don’t think I could sell them as they have Disney images in them. I always wonder about that when I see some of the invites and stuff on etsy and such. I am thinking of offering them as a free download for my Facebook fans though!

• May 18, 2014 Frances

Not creative here, is there any way to get a download of your pages. Just want something simple, character and name on left page for autograph and the color page with white box for photo on the other. Just having them printed at Staples and bounded for our cruise trip add photos of little one and characters later.

Could not find anything similar to this on any of the popular photo book sites.

Love your idea!