Baby over Blissdom

posted in: Blogging, Conferences, Motherhood, My Life, Parenting 22 comments

Baby over Blissdom

The definition of bliss is simple:  Complete Happiness.

My children complete me and bring me happiness.  While it is not always at the same time, they do make me completely happy.

I was also completely happy to go to Blissdom on Wednesday with Violet, my 1 year old ball of joy, and connect with bloggers and friends both old and new.  I was going as an ambassador for the awesome Kleenex Softness Worth Sharing program and I was pumped.  I needed a break and some girl time badly.  I was supposed to come home late Friday night.  Instead I rented a car and drove back Thursday afternoon and arrived in Charlotte after 1 a.m.

Let’s just say I was not happy at all when I left.  But when I finally arrived home and snuggled Violet into her own crib and curled up next to my husband, I was content.  You see, I am a mom first and foremost.  My baby got an ear infection while in Nashville.  I will not drag a baby in pain to conference sessions or put them on a plane if it can be avoided.

Things started out fine.  She was okay in the morning but her drooling was getting bad.  I could feel new teeth trying to come through and the front of her adorable brown Gymboree shirt was soaked by lunchtime.  Violet went from happy to antsy to crabby to full on angry in a matter of hours.

By the time our “quiet time” was over she was hysterical in our room and I was missing the 2 o’clock session.   She was gripping both of her ears with tears streaming down her face.  I knew that she was struggling.  Even nursing she was upset.  I watched the minutes tick by and when I got her calmed down I tried to put her in the stroller to make our way downstairs.  The hysteria came back.  This was not fair to my baby.

How could I think of my Blissdom experience while my little one was struggling for comfort?  I could not.  I called the hotel rental car service and they were kind enough to drive to the airport to pick up a carseat and rent me a car.  I emailed my fellow Kleenex ambassadors and the Kleenex team that brought me to Blissdom and apologized for having to leave.  They were all so understanding.  It made me incredibly calm to realize I was working with people who understood that I am a mother first.  So I packed our bags and packed the car and got on the road.  Can we just say HUGE kudo’s to Kleenex?  I just want to say thank you for being so wonderful and understanding!

I was leaving Blissdom for my baby.  After 8 hours of driving and nursing our way through the mountains as Violet’s ears protested the changes in altitude, we arrived home.

As parents, we put our kids first all the time.  It is one of the most natural and still one of the hardest things about this job.  Sometimes it is not about my Bliss – it is about theirs.  When they need us – we must be there. We must give up what we want to give them what they need.

I am so glad I got her home and that she was able to sleep in her own bed and wake up with her family around her.  It was a beautiful weekend in Charlotte and we got to be outside and take walks and play.  Violet got to crawl and walk in the grass for the first time!

Now, she is napping and I am coming back to my blog.  To the place where I put so many feelings.

Guess what…I am blissful. I am blessed. I am happy.

I did not get a chance to pass out my new business cards but they say…

Woman. Wife. Mother. Friend. Builder. Writer.

I am all of these things and they all make me happy.  But…my family always comes first.

When have you given something up for your kids?  Right now I would love to know I am not alone!

Disclosure:  I was totally over the moon and happy to go to Blissdom as a brand ambassador for Kleenex and their Softness Worth Sharing campaign.  Even though I had to leave, I know even more now what a fabulous company Kleenex is.  This is totally my opinion and I really think that being able to send a sassy pack of Kleenex to someone you love is awesome!

• January 30, 2011 liz

I was bummed we couldn’t chat more, but you did what you and Violet needed you to do! Go mama!
    liz recently posted… We Can Make It Our BlissMy Profile

• January 30, 2011 Kari

Oh I feel for you! Yes, over the years I have given up so many things – some by not committing and others by unexpected turns like yours. That’s motherhood, true. Not always easy or clear, also true. But ultimately we are are children’s voice, protector, moral guide – all those things we signed up for and they all require us to put them first in times of need – period. So that’s what you did. You will never regret it though you might feel sad and you have missed out on other things. I too struggle with this – often envying those with no children or less commitments. But then I think, oh no, my oldest daughter has only four more years at home before college! time flies too quick – I would love to make those four years stretch to eight :) so, then I go play with my toddler – realizing it blows by quickly and content can be better than happy or it can be happy. But at least we have internet – a nice community of moms – even if it’s virtual! Take Care!!! Hope violet recovers quickly. _
    Kari

• January 30, 2011 Jill

I feel like I give up many things, but I know it’s not that bad. The main thing I give up is my wardrobe. I only have a few things to wear to church, and the rest is extra casual (I’m a SAHM)

…and you’re not alone =) You made the right choice for your family.

• January 30, 2011 Melissa

You totally did what you had to do and I would have done the EXACT same thing. You know we all understand. I’m so bummed I didn’t get to chat with you!
    Melissa recently posted… Nutrisystem Week TwelveMy Profile

• January 30, 2011 Theta Mom

I admire you Brittany for bringing your daughter in the first place. You are superwoman! And I’m sure you were bummed about not connecting there like you had hoped – but NOTHING is more important than the health and happiness of our babies.

You’re an amazing mama – and so proud to call you a friend.
    xoxo

• January 30, 2011 jennyonthespot

Oh my friend… I admire you. You are an amazing woman and mama. I know it was a hard decision, but also an easy one. I wanted you there too… I wanted time with you SO much!

You did the right thing, and what a blessing to work with a team that shares your value for family. {hugs} and more {hugs}
    jennyonthespot recently posted… Flashmob at Blissdom 2011- ya’ll!!!My Profile

• January 30, 2011 Jenn

Oh, mama – it’s hard enough to see our little ones in pain, but to be far away from home? There will always be another conference…this time with our children is pretty darn precious.

I gave up my job to stay at home with my kids…I’ve missed dinners out because of illness that has cropped up…so glad you both made it home safely. I drove from NC to Chicago 2 years ago with my poor 3yo daughter vomiting all the way with what was found to be a kidney infection. Its a hell of a way to travel!

• January 30, 2011 Lindsay Dianne

We do what we need to do as parents, and a lot of that is sacrifice. You made the right choice.

• January 30, 2011 Making It Work Mom

Wow! What an experience and what a hard non-decision! I always feel so bad when I see a baby suffering through something that Mom wants to do. I think we all sacrifice so much- somedays I feel like it is my sanity, but then like you I feel like i get paid back 100x more just with the little snuggles and kisses and I love yous that our children throw at us. If they only knew how much that went.

Sorry for both of you that the trip was a bust, but happy for Violet that she has such a strong Momma who makes great decisions.
    Oh and totally jealous of your beautiful weather this weekend!!!

• January 30, 2011 Natalie J. Vandenberghe

I’m glad you arrived home safely and that you & your daughter are enjoying the weekend. Family does come first. It’s too bad you didn’t get to enjoy #Blissdom but there will be other opportunities, I’m sure. I was pleased to see that your sponsor was so understanding. Kleenex is the only brand of tissue we buy (my 81yo mother must be their biggest fan). Best wishes for the future.

• January 30, 2011 Yuliya

Okay I think you’re kind of amazing. I’m not brave enough to bring my baby to my first conference in August (BlogHer) alone, and so I’m dragging my husband. Hope Violet feels better!
    Yuliya recently posted… Word it’s WednesdayMy Profile

• January 30, 2011 Kim

I was so sad you had to leave, but totally understood. It is what we do as parents. We sacrifice for our children.
    Love to you and sweet Miss V.
    Kim recently posted… Leaving ThemMy Profile

• January 30, 2011 Real Life Sarah

Oh, girl! I admire you for blissfully putting Violet first! I am so glad I got to see you and Violet just for a minute at Blissdom, but you did the right thing. There really isn’t any way to relieve the ear infection while you’re hundreds of miles away from home.

I have given up a few things this year for my family, including my Mom TV show, a ballet class (now I’m only once a week), and an ambassador job. I admit, it’s hard. But I know it will be worth it in the long run
    Real Life Sarah recently posted… On Girl Bullies &amp Redeemed FriendshipsMy Profile

• January 30, 2011 Sara

I just had a very similar situation and while I didn’t travel all the way to Nashville, I never even got out of the house! I’m glad you were home and she feels better!
    Sara recently posted… The Best Laid PlansMy Profile

• January 31, 2011 Laura

I am most certainly a parent first and I would have done the same thing. Ear aches are the worst pain ever.

As teens and older though I do have to say no a bit more as they understand Moms needs better and that we even have any.

Hope Violet feels better soon. xx
    Laura recently posted… Photo Finish Friday with a causeMy Profile

• January 31, 2011 Lindsay

I’m sorry that you didn’t get to take in all that Blissdom had to offer, but I am obscenely proud of you for being the mother that your daughter needed. Not all women would have given up their weekend that way. Many would have searched high and low for a babysitter or even forced the child through the weekend. You, my dear, are a mother that your daughter is proud to have. :)
    Lindsay recently posted… Unanswered prayers are blessings- tooMy Profile

• January 31, 2011 Beverly

I am amazed that you were able to take Violet with you in the first place! What a great mom you are, and what a great example you set by putting her first. It IS the hardest thing as a mom, to put yourself last and the happiness and well being of those who call us “mommy” first! Glad to hear she is feeling better!!

• February 1, 2011 Bryna

I’m supposed to go to a (already booked…) conference in Utah (which I was REALLY looking forward to…) in June, but we don’t have anyone to watch the chicklets. The husband will have to represent for the both of us!

Meanwhile, I am just the event planner for the rest of my group. Boo! But LOVE my little chicklets to pieces!!!!

• February 1, 2011 Amy

These years are so fleeting and so precious and such a small part of long lives that I put on hold just about anything that comes between mothering my daughter. Conferences, dinners out, girls weekends, jobs, etc will always be there…my daughter will only be this this age once. I know this is not a popular sentiment in the mothering world at the moment but I am old enough to no longer care about being popular or worried about how I will be judged by others. My daughter is happy and that is all that matters.

• February 3, 2011 Bonnie Hartian

I love your forthright style of writing and I just wanted to say, “good for you for remembering that you are a mommy first”! If we have kids (I have 4), we are mommies 1st no matter whether or not we recognize that fact!