A Letter to Violet on Her First Birthday

posted in: My Life 18 comments

Dear Violet,

You are 1 today baby girl.  Happy Birthday!

It has been quite a year.  A year ago I went into the hospital praying with every part of me that you would be okay. You were breech for most of the 38 weeks you spent in my body.  I tried everything to get you to flip but I guess you were just happy being right side up, with your head towards my heart.  I had extremely low amniotic fluid and you did not or could not move. I had hoped you were just lazy. We got you checked every single week with ultrasounds and NSTs but no one really knew why you didn’t move.  It was lovely to see your beautiful face so often, but some very scary diseases were mentioned.  Your daddy and I already loved you so much, we just wanted to meet you and hold you and show you we loved you no matter what.  When I got to the hospital I was prepped for a c-section and told that the chances of flipping you during the ECV procedure I elected were slim.   I was really scared, baby girl, and wanted to have you naturally and not add the risks of surgery to all my other fears.  After 3 terribly painful tries, my Dr. and 2 nurses were able to physically push you around and move your head down.  The relief I felt is indescribable.  You were stubborn like your mama but in the end you came out the easy way, and I want to thank you for that.

Violet, you were 5 pounds 12 ounces of perfection.  We were scared of so many things but you came out kicking and screaming and pink and I cried huge tears of joy.   Actually, of all my babies you came out the healthiest.  Sophia was born with all these holes in her heart.  Miles was born with plagiocephaly and his noggin was shaped like my pelvis.  You were a tiny little spitfire who came into this world ready to play ball.   It felt like a miracle.  I introduced you to the world right here on the day you were born.

Every day I fall more in love with you.  You are a fabulous cuddler.  You love to sing.  You love to kiss and clap and click your little tongue.  Violet, your brother and sister play rough, and you can take it.  Even when you were tiny and got stepped on or pulled or rolled over, you usually laughed and started kicking.  That’s my girl.  You are one tough cookie.  These days you are a rough one yourself and love to roll around with the big kids.   You are also the sweetest thing.  When someone is crying, you go to them.  When I am crying, you put your cheek next to mine and hum and honey, it helps.  Thank you.  Having a big heart will bring you more joy in your life than having anything else.  That gift is priceless.  You, my sweet girl, are priceless.

Violet, you laugh and smile the most when you are jumping or dancing.  So for you honey, Happy Birthday.  I hope you laugh and dance forever.

Love and Kisses,

Mommy

• January 19, 2011 Living the Balanced Life

I love it! And I love that you used that song! My youngest is a dancer and I ahd planned to do a slideshow when she graduated but, um, that was last May, lol!
    She is precious and I can’t wait to see in person how she has grown!
    Oh, and now you got me tearing up too!
    Bernice
    Living the Balanced Life recently posted… Assess your life for stressMy Profile

• January 19, 2011 Kimberly

Awwwwww….you have me all crying over here. SNiff. So so SO beautiful.
    Happy birthday little spitfire!
    Kimberly recently posted… Special Ketamine- It’s Part Of My Healthy Balanced BreakfastMy Profile

• January 19, 2011 Melissa

Such a sweet sweet letter and video! <3

Happy Birthday Violet and Happy BirthDAY Mama!

Can't wait to meet you and her next week!
    Melissa recently posted… Ready For A Magical Adventure GiveawayMy Profile

• January 19, 2011 Jessica

This is my first time visiting and you have me crying all over my keyboard. Beautiful letter and beautiful video. Don’t you just wish time would slow down? They grow so fast.
    Jessica recently posted… Two Blogs Walked onto a PlaygroundMy Profile

• January 19, 2011 Making It Work Mom

She is so beautiful. What a beautiful slideshow for her. I hope you had a wonderful day enjoying your beautiful baby.

• January 19, 2011 Lindsay | DesignerWife

This is absolutely so sweet and touching! Thanks for sharing something so personal – makes me realize, even more, how much I absolutely cannot wait to be a mom. :)

Linds

• January 19, 2011 Brittany

Please tell me I can hold your baby when you have one. I am seriously missing my baby!

• January 19, 2011 Melisa

Beautiful! Happy Birthday to your little baby!
    Melisa recently posted… My Monday Musings – A New Blog- Yo!My Profile

• January 20, 2011 julie

So so (so) beautiful. January 19th is my mother’s birthday. Incredible women are born on January 19th.

Here’s my favorite line:
    “I tried everything to get you to flip but I guess you were just happy being right side up, with your head towards my heart.”

That’s a sentence I wish I’d written. Except without all the fear and pain yout breech circumstances brought you.

But look what happened? Fear, pain, and then…Violet. Which made it all okay.
    Kind of like motherhood in a nutshell.

Thanks for sharing your baby’s birthday with everyone. Hooray for January 19th.

• January 21, 2011 Scary Mommy

And… now I want a baby. That was so sweet!!

• January 21, 2011 Cynthia

What a beautiful video. They grow up so fast.

• January 24, 2011 Lisa

What a wonderful letter & video – happy birthday Violet!
    Lisa recently posted… The Untold Rules for Military GoodbyesMy Profile

• January 24, 2011 blueviolet

I’ll bet she is even more darling now since last I saw her!!! Happy Birthday, sweet doll!
    blueviolet recently posted… Why Go To Blissdom I Can&8217t Even Wear Pajamas ThereMy Profile

• January 24, 2011 blueviolet

Ok, well obviously she is because I can see it on your blog, but I meant in person!

• January 25, 2011 Brittany

We can’t wait to see you again!

• January 24, 2011 Amy Sullivan

Bounced over from Adventureroo, and I must say I LOVE the name Violet. We almost had a Violet (We ended up with a Ruby!), but I still always smile when I hear the name.

Sweet, sweet letter. Thanks for sharing it!
    Amy Sullivan recently posted… Safe Birthing Kits and 24 Inches of StringMy Profile