Hipstamatic-Ize Your Photos!

posted in: DIY 58 comments

I love the iPhone app Hipstamatic. It is an app that Hipstmatic says “brings back the look, feel, unpredictable beauty, and fun of plastic toy cameras from the past.” Basically it makes any old picture look pretty darn cool. Unfortunately, I don’t have an iPhone and even if I did, I love to take pictures with my real camera.

I thought there must be a way, without being a photoshop genius, to give my pictures this awesome vintage look.  It took a lot of digging but I found a great little FREE program to download and a few very easy steps to make any photo hip in any way you want!

Start by downloading Photoscape.  It’s a free photo editor that lets you do tons of things to your pictures!  I have just started playing with it but it is easy and fun!  I will be spending a ton of time with this little gem!

First, select your run of the mill photo.  I love this picture of Sophia on the beach and thought it would look great with a vintage twist!

Next, upload your photo into the Photoscape editor.

Below the photo you will see a bunch of buttons that allow you to change anything about the photo.

For this picture I took the following steps:

Filter – Film Effect – Cross Process High.  Cross Processing in the real world of photography is the procedure of deliberately processing photographic film in a chemical solution intended for a different type of film (from Wikipedia).

Filter – Film Effect – Portra High.  Portra is an effect that is meant to simulate the high quality Kodak film that is used for weddings and portraits to give great skin tones and a very fine grain.  I just liked how it looked!

Bright, Color – Colorize.  For this picture I chose a color value 20, saturation of 255 and saturation level of 41%.  The higher the level, the stronger the color.  This is where you will give your pictures a different tone of green or orange or whatever suits your fancy!

Filter – Vignetting.  Click on Vignetting and choose your shadow like edges.  There are a bunch to choose from and they are fun to play around with!

Backlight.  (+/- 100%)  This is what I chose.  It gives a really cool light to the photo.  Play around with this too.  You can see the changes as you make them so it is super easy to change your mind.

Finally, the real Hipstamtic cool factor comes from the frame.  This was what I could never find but in Photoscape there are a few that mimic that cool old look. I chose Cali 12 for this photo, which has a rough edge around the entire photo.

I ended up with the fabulous and very hip photo of Sophia at the beach!

I went ahead and hipped up a photo of Miles and Violet as well because it is just so much fun! Here is the original adorable picture of my two cuddle bugs!

I chose a Portra Low setting here with colorization of 25/128/50% for the more orange tones and I love it! I also chose the slightly more rugged Cali 5 frame.

Now don’t you have a couple pics that could use a little more hip?  Have fun and please share your experience in the comments so that we can all create some very cool photos!

Latest posts by Brittany (see all)

• July 1, 2010 Momma Vicious

You are a lifesaver! I’ve been looking for a way to edit all the pictures I take of babygirl. <3
    .-= Momma Vicious´s last blog ..Wont last long =-.

• July 1, 2010 Brittany

Isn’t is cool! Have fun and please come back and tell me any new awesome edits you discover!

• June 16, 2011 Fiona

Thank you so much for this detailed and spot on instructions. Really helpful! Highly appreciated!

• July 1, 2010 Heather

Those came out awesome! I have a script similar to that for Paintshop Pro that I made. The look is awesome! Stopping by from SITS!

• July 1, 2010 Lynn

Great picture of Sophia. She looks all vintage hip-ped up with that cool photo program. I’ve got to check it out.
    .-= Lynn´s last blog ..How could they-I let it get this way =-.

• July 1, 2010 Brittany

Lynn I am so excited to dump so many pictures into this and see what I get! I hope you post some of yours too!

• July 1, 2010 Bryna

Now you are making wish I had an iPhone…. oh well.
    .-= Bryna´s last blog ..This is kinda embarassing =-.

• July 1, 2010 Brittany

Me too but this program can do tons of stuff on pics for free! I refuse to go to ATT so iphone is out for me!

• July 1, 2010 Christiana

How fun! I love the look of the beach photo especially with those filters! Great idea!
    .-= Christiana´s last blog ..Thoughtful Thursday- Housework and such =-.

• July 1, 2010 Jennifer

Awesome. I’ve been searching how to do this without the iphone. I love this tutorial and can’t wait to try it tonight when I get home.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Unforgiveable =-.

• OMG those photos are awesome! I need to spend more time with mine. Great ideas!

• July 1, 2010 Justine

Nice! I’ve seen this treatment around the bloggy world and I was wondering about them. I do love the effect. Loooooove the pics of your kids here.
    .-= Justine´s last blog ..17 years later- I still don’t wash my hair on my birthday because I miss her =-.

• July 1, 2010 Brittany

Thanks I think I will love a lot more pics now!

• July 1, 2010 Annah

I really like the originals better :) But the second ones are cute too
    .-= Annah´s last blog ..DESPERATE TIMES CALL FOR DESPERATE MEASURES AND AWESOME PANTIES =-.

• July 1, 2010 Brittany

I like the originals too – I just really wanted to figure out how to get that vintage look!

• July 1, 2010 Sarah

Oh I love you for this. I DO have an iPhone and love me some Hipstamatic, but I think it’s AWESOME that you’ve come up with a way to find that same funky, fun look. I love the color punch of the vintage style…especially when there is a skyline and a sweet, smiling kid involved.

Bravo.

!!!
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..- is all around us =-.

• July 1, 2010 Brittany

Thanks so much! I figured even with an iPhone I would have other pics that could use the vintage touch. And I would say that making these pictures so cool is a form of intentional happiness!!!

• July 2, 2010 TheKitchenWitch

I absolutely love what you’ve done to the photos! Going to check that site out today! Thanks for the tip.
    .-= TheKitchenWitch´s last blog ..Thai Salad with Peanut Dressing =-.

• July 2, 2010 Becki

Do you know if you can develop them or not? I know sometimes the programs put them in a lower pixel rate so you can’t develop them any larger than 4×6, and even that can be grainy.
    Super cute for blogs, tho!!! Much cheaper than lightroom or photoshop!
    (PS…I lost my iTouch on the plane to PA. Crappy trip, eh?)
    .-= Becki´s last blog ..Language- Latin and Greek =-.

• That is so cool! Thanks!
    .-= Anne -Mommy Has to Work´s last blog ..One of My Pet Peeves =-.

• July 2, 2010 Melisa

You know a friend of mine takes lots and lots of pictures using her iphone and they always look so cool and vintagey. I never ask her what she uses cause I assumed it was an app I wouldn’t be able to get as I don’t have an iphone but this comes very close to how her photos looks. I can’t wait to use it on my own photos!
    .-= Melisa´s last blog ..You Deserve a Break Today =-.

• July 3, 2010 Liza

So super fun! This is what I’m going to do to procrastinate folding the laundry….

• July 3, 2010 Liza

Oh, I can’t play with it! It’s Windows only…bummer.

• July 3, 2010 Brittany

Oh man! Something that an apple can’t do! I’m shocked! I bet there is something for macs though…

• July 5, 2010 Loukia

Your children are the CUTEST! I loved those pics, and thanks for the tips! So cool!

• July 5, 2010 Brittany

Thanks babe you have some cute kids yourself!

• July 6, 2010 Melissa

You’re a genius! I LOVE Hipstamatic and this program does what that app does quite nicely!

Darn- I just saw another comment though that it’s PC only- boo! I have Photoshop though and use some actions– guess I’ll stick to that. I’m just lazy and want to do it as close to instant as possible!
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..Five Must-Have Shots to Take on Your Next Beach Trip =-.

• July 6, 2010 Melissa

oh and those kiddos are A-dorable!!! I mean, serious cuteness.

• July 6, 2010 Amy

Thanks so much for posting this! I too love what hipstamatic does for photos but alas I don’t have an iphone so I am excited to try this!

• July 7, 2010 Theta Mom

How awesome is that!!! But wait, I need an iphone right? ;)

• July 8, 2010 Brittany

No silly no iphone needed for this! Just a pc like I have and some pics! I will be waiting for Verizon to get the iphone. I may be waiting orever!

• July 12, 2010 Christine LaRocque

Fantastic! I have an iPhone and use hipstamatic, but sometimes the phone isn’t good enough. Thanks for the tip.
    .-= Christine LaRocque´s last blog ..Wistful =-.

• July 13, 2010 Kelly

This is awesome!!! I’ll be trying it immediately.

• July 29, 2010 Juline

Thanks for the step-by-step. Question, though: where do I find the Cali 12 frame option?
    .-= Juline´s last blog ..Creature Comfort =-.

• August 6, 2010 Jennifer

THANK YOU for this! I’ve used it quite a few times and it gives the pictures such a unique feel. I really do appreciate it!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..10 Things I Don’t Hate About Deployment =-.

• October 30, 2010 Toots Ismail

Hi Brittany! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THIS! You’re a life saver! I too, like you don’t have an iPhone but I love that Hipstamatic app. So Google brought me to you!

Can’t wait to try the tool u suggested!
    Will definitely start reading more of your blog.

Cheers!

• December 10, 2010 Darleen

Thanks a lot for the info. I have downloaded it an I cannot stop playing….

• January 6, 2011 Todd Montgomery

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS! I have been looking for an alternative to Hipstamatic for my other pics. This is the best so far. I would not have had clue where to start if you had not shared the step by step too……

Know of any automatic apps?

• January 6, 2011 Brittany

I found this because I only have my blackberry and wanted the look of Hipstamatic. With Photoscape you can actually do a lot more than that app. But to your question I have found nothing automatic. I wonder if you could save your settings in Photoscape and then apply them to each photo and then tweak as needed? It’s worth a look!

• January 7, 2011 Todd Montgomery

Do you know of a publication that shows how to work the Photoscape better than average? I played with it a lot last night, but I could not figure it all out….. Had white fringes that I wanted to change to black, colorizing better too. Just could not get very far into it.

• February 18, 2011 erin

Thank you for adding this site and info! SOOOO helpful! Yay for mommy help everywhere:)

GRAZIE MILLE

• May 19, 2011 George

Thanks a lot, such a great tutorial!

• June 5, 2011 Jeanne

Found your blog doing a search since I don’t have an iphone and love this! Great find.

• June 6, 2011 Brittany

Good luck! I am still having a lot of fun with this program!

• July 13, 2011 Alex

Great stuff! Exactly what I’ve been looking for.

Those of you who can’t run it on Mac, just install Windows 7 on your Macs and it’ll work ;)

• July 21, 2011 colette mathijs

Photoscape is fantastic!!! Thank you so much for sharing your ‘secret’ of making hipstamatic photos ;-)
    Colette (from Belgium)

• September 22, 2011 viejada

Thanks for this post! Greetings from Argentina

• September 29, 2011 Alissa

Great post! I’ve also tried “Retrographer” which is a new photoshop plug-in. It does a ton of effects including Hipstamatic and Instagram. Definitely worth checking out! http://www.misterretro.com/filters/retrographer

• October 30, 2011 Jessie

Oh THANKYOU! THANKYOU! THANKYOU! Reading this post has revolutionized my photo editing!! How amazing to have a free program like this to use..thanks so much not only for sharing it but also for sharing what you did to get the example you showed of your gorgeous Sophia…that cut down a whole lot of searching thru tabs.
    How I’ve coveted the effects of the iPhone pics..my son, who has one, can now be jealous of me! lol
    Seriously..if you were here right now I’d give you such a big hug!!!!
    thankyou soo so much!!
    jessie
    nelson, nz

• October 30, 2011 Brittany

You are so welcome and thank you for that comment. I am such a hugger too and I would definitely give you a squeeze!

• January 2, 2012 Houdini

Love it!

I also use retro camera on my android which also has some wonderful effects on it.

Picasa is brilliant and free too ;-)

Happy New Year x
    Houdini recently posted… A WINTER’S TALEMy Profile

• January 12, 2012 miss m

Brilliant !

• January 24, 2012 Sam

joining the rest in saying thanks for finding this and giving me easy instructions to follow… been looking for same for a long time… ;-))

• April 18, 2012 kelly

Thank you so much for posting this! I am going to give it a try. I have the Hipstamatic app on my phone, but wanted something I could use on my PC. Thanks!
    kelly recently posted… Project: Subway ArtMy Profile