The Kids Milked Me

posted in: Parenting 36 comments

I would never let my husband do this in a million years.  I mean absolutely never.   I never thought I would let anyone do it, but this morning that all changed.  I let my kids milk me.

I was using a hand pump to get a little milk for baby Violet for her morning nursery time and Sophia asked if she could help.  I said no and she said I told her she could help to give Violet milk when she started using a bottle.  I said you can help with the bottle, not the milking.

Then she asked me if it was gross?  Well, I do not want my kids to ever think that anything about breastfeeding is gross.  I want them to understand that I make milk for my babies and that I am proud of my commitment to breastfeeding through all of the struggles I have had.  I want them to think that it is totally normal for a mommy to milk herself like a cow.  And so I let her try.   I was muttering inappropriate words in my head.  I mean what the hell was I doing?  Then Miles cried, saying it was his turn.  What the heck…the more the merrier right?

Both Sophia and Miles successfully milked me.  They were so proud that they made Violet’s milk.  I don’t know if I was proud at the moment as much as relieved it was over.  From now on I will pump a little more privately than in the playroom.

Since it was definitely a first (and hopefully a last) we took pictures!

Sophia is Pumped!

Proud Pumper

I truly hope you are laughing and not gagging.

• June 16, 2010 Burgh Baby

Definitely laughing. :-)
    .-= Burgh Baby´s last blog ..The One in Which I Reveal the Funnel Cake Recipe =-.

• June 17, 2010 keva or @candiestaken

Laughing and its too adorable!

• June 16, 2010 MamaCampbell

LOL! This cracked me up! Way to be a breastfeeding advocate for the next generation, even if it was really strange enduring. ;o)
    .-= MamaCampbell´s last blog ..New update!! =-.

• June 16, 2010 Carol

The things we do for our children. And I’m definately laughing, although I’m sure this is one of those moments when you are thinking ” Did I just do a good thing or is this going to cost me a lot of money in therapy to fix later? LOL
    .-= Carol´s last blog ..Post it note Tuesday =-.

• June 16, 2010 Christiana

Oh, I’m laughing! I’m seriously laughing!

I really hope this doesn’t come up with Fuss when this baby is born…
    .-= Christiana´s last blog ..Random Things on a Wednesday =-.

• June 16, 2010 Jenny

Sophia is “Pumped”? HAHAHAHA. This post is great… both of my kids have milked me too! A little bit wierd? Yes. But like you, I don’t want them to think that breast feeding is in any way abnormal. So funny.
    .-= Jenny´s last blog ..Sponsor Giveaway: Sew Fantastic =-.

• June 16, 2010 Amy

You took one for the team! Ah, motherhood.
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..First Impressions =-.

• June 16, 2010 Carol

Forgot to tell you, there is something on my blog for you since you always keep me in stitches!
    .-= Carol´s last blog ..Post it note Tuesday =-.

• I was worried until I saw the photos. And saw the hand pump. (I have friends who do it by hand — for real. LOL.)

• June 16, 2010 Brittany

I can do it by hand and my 2 year old son still sticks his hand down there but he is not quite so accomplished as me!

• June 16, 2010 Crunchy Nurse

LOL, that’s cute. I would have been all freaked out that they would spill the milk. You are a great mama!
    .-= Crunchy Nurse´s last blog ..Our Wakeup Call: The Baby That Made Us Crunchy =-.

• June 16, 2010 Brittany

They spilled a little taking the pictures but that is okay because Violet absolutely refuses the bottle – I am just required to bring a bottle to drop her off. It stinks to waste breastmilk so I have asked them to try and mix some with her cereal to help use it!

• June 16, 2010 DrMommy

I love this! I also tried very hard to show my daughter that breastfeeding is normal and I actually let her touch my boob once before I fed the baby. Wow that sounds disturbing in print.

• June 16, 2010 Brittany

Yes to type it out makes it very odd sounding huh? Sophia felt the lumps in my breast when I had mastitis and I had to show her why mommy was hurting. It’s okay! I think kids should learn about bodies and nature and all that good stuff!

• June 16, 2010 Kelb

Completely cracking up! I would never have been brave enough to do that. It hurt enough to do it myself.

• June 16, 2010 Brittany

Ahh with hyperlactation some things come easy. If I had good aim I could push on one side and just shoot it into the bottle! TMI? Oh well!

• June 16, 2010 Candice

Awww… I think that’s kind of awesome, actually. And bravo to you for being brave in sharing and posting the pics. :)
    .-= Candice´s last blog ..Chucking lemonade =-.

• June 17, 2010 Hear Mum Roar

That is pretty awesome! I admire your bravery. I found with my oldest two, I couldn’t even do it around them after a while, because whilst they were fascinated, they bumped me around a lot (ouch) and I’d get so stressed I wouldn’t produce as well. So bravo to you!
    .-= Hear Mum Roar´s last blog ..Flowers are red =-.

• June 16, 2010 Surferwife

Can we say AWKWARD>!>! LOL!

Am I crazy to say I miss breastfeeding a wee one?
    .-= Surferwife´s last blog ..Probably destined to be the best blog ever. I’m not biased. =-.

• June 17, 2010 Brittany

So awkward but no you are not crazy I will miss it when Violet is done. I will miss all of these baby days so much. Now I have to go and weep.

• June 17, 2010 Chantal

Oh I think that is sweet. I also try to normalize nursing with my older boys. When I started nursing my 3rd child my 5yo asked if he could try some. Of course I pumped and put it in a glass. He drank it and laughed and said it was yuckers :)
    .-= Chantal´s last blog ..Moving along =-.

• June 17, 2010 Cranky Sarah

So funny! Yes, it is hard to explain some things to kids on the fly isn’t it? I didn’t pump that often and it was usually at night but on one of the rare occasions I pumped in front of my oldest she also asked to help. However, I had an older model pump that wasn’t easy to work so my daughter gave it about half a try and never asked again. I had completely forgotten about that HAHA!
    .-= Cranky Sarah´s last blog ..The passing of a friend =-.

• June 17, 2010 Grammy

I am rolling on the floor laughing and wondering what they will think when they look at those pictures 20 years from now!
    .-= Grammy´s last blog ..Back on Track =-.

• June 17, 2010 Brittany

20 years? Heck – I am going to use these as bribery and threaten to show them to their friends in like 10 years! Good idea huh? I’m going to tweet it!

• June 17, 2010 Justine

This is awesome! Your kids are so proud too – haha!
    Note to self – have first baby milk me when nursing second baby. I hand pumped for over a year and while I dreaded doing it, I was grateful to be able to nurse for as long as I did even with a full-time work schedule.
    .-= Justine´s last blog ..Do you eat dog? =-.

• June 17, 2010 Christine LaRocque

I love that you did this!! Really and truly I do. My oldest watches me nurse the youngest all the time. It’s normal for him and that’s how I want it to be. I remember the first time I pulled out the pump. Gosh was that cause for questions.
    .-= Christine LaRocque´s last blog ..Everyday !!! =-.

• June 17, 2010 IASoupMama

Hilarious! When my son (Milo) asked me if he could help make milk for his sister (Violet), I let him play with my pump parts for a moment, then he decided he was going to pump, too, so he took his shirt off and stuck the horns over his nipples and sat there patiently waiting for milk to come. Thankfully, he didn’t have the pump switched on…
    .-= IASoupMama´s last blog ..Guess What We’ve Been Doing? =-.

• June 17, 2010 Brittany

Are you kidding you have a Milo and Violet and I have a Miles and Violet – that is CRAZY! It would have been so funny and scary if it was switched on! Funny for you nd your readers…scary for him!

• June 17, 2010 IASoupMama

Yep, I’ve got a Milo and a Violet. They just sound right together, huh? If the pump HAD been on, I’d have a hard time explaining the hickeys on his chest…
        .-= IASoupMama´s last blog ..Guess What We’ve Been Doing? =-.

• June 17, 2010 Brittany

I have hickeys from Violet sucking on whatever skin she can get ;) Sophie and Miles get them sometimes too!

• June 17, 2010 Grateful Twin Mom

Definitely funny. And look at their proud faces. I’m sure they love being part of it all.
    .-= Grateful Twin Mom´s last blog ..Notes from Battlefield Playground–Head Games in First Grade? =-.

• June 17, 2010 vodka logic

I don’t think the idea occured to me so I think it is cool. As you said I would prefer not to be milked by anyone but since they “caught” you I think you handled it well..
    .-= vodka logic´s last blog ..One of My Favorite Things =-.

• June 17, 2010 Lucy Cooper

My older son was fascinated with breastfeeding. When I would unhook the nursing bra, he thought it was funny to say, “Boobies ready!”
    .-= Lucy Cooper´s last blog ..A Bop-Bone By Any Other Name, or, Top Ten New Names for the Children Formerly Known as Six and Bam-Bam =-.

• June 17, 2010 Becki

Jackson was almost 3 when I was BFing London. My favorite question was, “Mommy, why is there little tiny milkies coming out of your nipples?”. Ahhh…questions we love to answer. ;) Now that he’ll be 4.5 when Brooklyn gets here, the questions should be even more fabulous.
    .-= Becki´s last blog ..A Sneak Peek… =-.

• June 18, 2010 TheKitchenWitch

Laughing. Hard. You are too funny!
    .-= TheKitchenWitch´s last blog ..Save-My-Ass Summer: Grilled Jalapeno Poppers =-.