Honey, don't teach them how you clean. You sort of suck at it.

posted in: Parenting 39 comments

Sophia announced with pride that she had cleaned her play kitchen. I was ecstatic as I have been trying to get her to really clean up for a very long time.  I wanted to see this immaculate masterpiece.  She stood in front of the doors and said “Look, All Clean Mom!”  Her words said one thing but her stance said another.

All Clean Mom!

I asked if she could show me her kitchen and she told me I did not need to see the kitchen, just the floor in front of the doors.  I knew something was awry.  I asked how she cleaned the kitchen and she informed me with pride that it was “Just the way Daddy showed me”.  Houston, we have a problem.  Daddy has no idea how to pick up.  His mantra is out of sight, out of mind.  I give you Exhibit A.  No further exhibits are needed.

Daddy Showed Me How!

My husband showed her how to shove all her crap into whatever closet or bucket or niche was nearby and shut the doors.  He showed her how to hide the mess, not clean it up.  This is why he never knows where his stuff is.  I asked her why she did not clean her kitchen the way I do.   I was really curious.

A Clean Kitchen

She said cleaning that way is boring and takes too long.

Yeah babe – but my way actually puts things back where they belong so you don’t lose pieces or have things fly out of the closet when you open it.  My way is the mommy way and my way is the way we clean up around here.  Daddy is not so good at cleaning.  He fakes it.  This is like telling a lie.  You don’t want to tell a lie, do you?

Sophia said “No, but I like fun things and that is not very fun.”

Really?  Shocker.  Welcome to my world.  Wait until you have kids.  I am so going to say “I told you so.”

• June 22, 2010 Kelly

Love it. My kid has learned the same lesson. Is there a re-training boot camp we can send them to?
    .-= Kelly´s last blog ..Squawk! =-.

• June 23, 2010 Brittany

If you find it we are in…we are sending the men too right?

• June 22, 2010 Lynn

hahahahaha. pictures are priceless. I’ll bet she knew it wasn’t clean….
    .-= Lynn´s last blog ..How My Family Changed My Mind–the Camping Version =-.

• June 23, 2010 Brittany

She knew – she is my I don;t care child. She needs a lot of discipline (and gets it) but it is sometimes hard because she has such a priceless personality and so much creativity that I do not want to stifle!

• June 23, 2010 Cari

LMAO!! That is great…love the pics!
    .-= Cari ´s last blog ..Simplicity Photo Challenge: Self Portrait =-.

• June 23, 2010 Laura

This post cracked me up! Poor Sophia, cleaning the real way IS hard!
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Operation: Party Crashers, Recon Mission =-.

• June 23, 2010 Brittany

Ross needs to re-learn how to clean if he is going to teach our children. I mean come on!

• June 23, 2010 Allie

LOVE THIS POST!!! Too stinking cute!!
    .-= Allie´s last blog ..My Baby Bear! :) Small Cappello Review! =-.

• June 23, 2010 Brittany

Aw thanks – it’s cute in my house huh? ;) You should see what she put under her bed!

• June 23, 2010 moooooog35

You women are never ever happy.
    .-= moooooog35´s last blog ..Tortoise Embryos and Robot Anal Probes =-.

• June 23, 2010 Brittany

Haha I am very happy with many things – just not his cleaning skills! Your post title is killing me I so just clicked over…so funny!

• June 23, 2010 Just Add Walter

hahaha that is so funny! cleaning up is hard to do-oooo!
    .-= Just Add Walter´s last blog ..Ka-Boom!! =-.

• That is so funny!
    .-= Anne -Mommy Has to Work´s last blog ..Disney Deal and My 1st Christmas Present! =-.

• June 23, 2010 Shafeena

Hehe… isn’t it so LIKE them !! to teach the kids everything we tell them not to do !! :D
    .-= Shafeena´s last blog ..Blog by a Mum… a Mlog? =-.

• June 23, 2010 Carrie

I cannot WAIT for the day my kids actually pick up their toys!! But I have to wait until the youngest kind of gets it because otherwise her sister will whine, “but SHE doesn’t clean up!!”

I LOVE that kitchen It rocks!
    .-= Carrie´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday: First Corn of the Year =-.

• June 23, 2010 Sara

Love it!
    Very familiar around here, too! My hubby refuses to put anything away that doesn’t belong to him….his way of cleaning is to stack other peoples (MY) stuff up and leave it in the middle of the table. Meanwhile, I am putting my stuff away and his stuff and doing his laundry on top of mine and the kids. So now Bear tries to clean that way too….”that’s not mine” or “here mommy, this is yours” are lines heard around my house now. GRRRR!
    I’m so on board if you figure out a cleaning boot camp for kiddos and hubbys!
    .-= Sara´s last blog ..Eau de Spit Up =-.

• June 24, 2010 Kim aka Mama Grits

That is exactly how Paige “cleans!!!”
    .-= Kim aka Mama Grits´s last blog ..A little wordless wednesday, a little doggy submission =-.

• June 24, 2010 Crunchy

Oh the irony of listening to my husband go on about cleaning up after oneself and putting dishes away when he himself leaves piles in his office

• June 24, 2010 TheKitchenWitch

Reminds me of when Miss D. was little. She made a huge mess in the living room and my husband remarked on it, and she said nonchalantly, “Don’t worry, Daddy. Mommy will clean it up.”
    .-= TheKitchenWitch´s last blog ..First Sorbet of the Season: Fail =-.

• June 24, 2010 MammaKerr

LOL :D
    I love this post! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Your daughter is absolutely gorgeous and my twin daughters would be soooo envious of her kitchen (tidy or not! lol)

I’ve found you en route via the six degrees of bloggin meme (I ckicked on you on Attorney-At-Mom’s site).

I’m now your newest follower! :)

Annette
    .-= MammaKerr´s last blog ..Twin Tuesday – Road Trips, Tantrums & Competitions =-.

• June 24, 2010 Cranky Sarah

Yeah, that kind of stuff is one of the reasons my blog exists! HAHA!
    .-= Cranky Sarah´s last blog ..The passing of a friend =-.

• June 25, 2010 Life with Kaishon

This made me laugh so hard! I think your way is the best way! : )
    .-= Life with Kaishon´s last blog ..Juan =-.

• June 25, 2010 C @ Kid Things

First of all, that’s a darling little area. I can’t believe I’m jealous of your closet.

My husband will clean really good when he wants to. Which is about once a year. Other than that, it’s about the same as yours.
    .-= C @ Kid Things´s last blog ..Get Off My Lawn! =-.

• June 26, 2010 Scary Mommy

First of all, OMG- how cute is she??! Second of all, that is hilarious. My husband has the same cleaning tactic and my children seem to have inherited it as well. These days, though, out of sight is fine with me!

• June 26, 2010 Jessica

Maybe your hubby can teach my hubby how to hide stuff, because he hasn’t even gotten that far. ;)
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..One Thing Leads to Another =-.

• June 28, 2010 Katie

HA! My husband does the same thing at night when he’s helping out our son straighten up his room. Together they just kind of shove everything over to the walls, leaving a path from the door to the bed. Sigh….

Found you over on The Flying Chulapa, and now following! Happy Monday!

• June 29, 2010 Brittany

Oh man! That would kill me! Thank goodness so far my 2 year old son is anal like me and says NO DADDY THAT GOES HERE if his daddy tries to put anything in the wrong place!

• June 28, 2010 The Flying Chalupa

Hey there! Thanks for coming over from Scary Mommy’s to visit my blog!
    Your daughter is stinkin’ adorable and this post is all too true. Why do men lack the clean gene? Seriously. It’s so annoying.

• June 29, 2010 Brittany

I am glad I came over! Love your blog. Stay tuned as I love to expose all the genes my wonderful husband and so many others lack!

• June 29, 2010 Christiana

Read this last week, but was thinking about it at 3am last night (pregsomnia, i guess) and I wondered if you could teach her the difference between “cleaning” and “clearing off” which is really what she is doing here by dumping all her stuff off the floor/into a container without organizing, etc. Sure, there are times when “clearing off” has to be done – guests are coming at a moments notice, or whatever – but it’s not actually “clean” until the organization occurs since you still won’t be able to find what you’re looking for if it is all in a jumble, shoved somewhere haphazardly. Or is she too young for that, yet?
    .-= Christiana´s last blog ..10 on Tuesday 6-29-10 =-.

• July 2, 2010 Stephanie r

Well- that looks just like how my kids clean- they shove it all under their beds, behind shelves- in shoes- and even worse in the trash! Kids!

• July 3, 2010 Brittany

I yeah – I forgot int he trash. They do that too. Thanks kids. You rock.

• July 5, 2010 Loukia

Gosh she’s a doll! And I am in LOVE with her kitchen! Where is it from, PBK? LOVE it. My 2 year old would really enjoy it!

• July 5, 2010 Brittany

Thanks! I built the kitchen to look like the pbk one but the sink really works! I posted on it as a DIY. The kids all love it!

• July 10, 2010 Jennifer

Cute kitchen! My daughter has that same nighty and looks about the same age.

• July 10, 2010 Brittany

Thanks! Sophia will be 4 in September!

• July 29, 2010 Moondancer

LOL, that’s my daughter’s idea of cleaning too! I love how her kitchen is set in its own little corner, very creative.

My father used to clean that way, actually he still cleans that way. My mother isn’t impressed.
    .-= Moondancer´s last blog ..Garden Produce – Beware of our Tomato Guardian =-.

• November 26, 2010 Erin

You are hilarious! You are so creative!! Her kitchen closet is FABULOUS!! I adore it!

I have this same argument with my hubs – his “cleaning” is legendary – everything is spotless but gone into the black hole of our house, never to be seen again.

While I do appreciate his efforts I abhore his methods –

Your daughter is a beauty!!

Gotta love blog bouncing – I found you on ScaryMommy and I am so happy!! I will be following:)
    Erin recently posted… What do you mean by thatMy Profile