Honey, don't teach them how you clean. You sort of suck at it.

Sophia announced with pride that she had cleaned her play kitchen. I was ecstatic as I have been trying to get her to really clean up for a very long time.  I wanted to see this immaculate masterpiece.  She stood in front of the doors and said “Look, All Clean Mom!”  Her words said one thing but her stance said another.

All Clean Mom!

I asked if she could show me her kitchen and she told me I did not need to see the kitchen, just the floor in front of the doors.  I knew something was awry.  I asked how she cleaned the kitchen and she informed me with pride that it was “Just the way Daddy showed me”.  Houston, we have a problem.  Daddy has no idea how to pick up.  His mantra is out of sight, out of mind.  I give you Exhibit A.  No further exhibits are needed.

Daddy Showed Me How!

My husband showed her how to shove all her crap into whatever closet or bucket or niche was nearby and shut the doors.  He showed her how to hide the mess, not clean it up.  This is why he never knows where his stuff is.  I asked her why she did not clean her kitchen the way I do.   I was really curious.

A Clean Kitchen

She said cleaning that way is boring and takes too long.

Yeah babe – but my way actually puts things back where they belong so you don’t lose pieces or have things fly out of the closet when you open it.  My way is the mommy way and my way is the way we clean up around here.  Daddy is not so good at cleaning.  He fakes it.  This is like telling a lie.  You don’t want to tell a lie, do you?

Sophia said “No, but I like fun things and that is not very fun.”

Really?  Shocker.  Welcome to my world.  Wait until you have kids.  I am so going to say “I told you so.”

Comments

1. Laura says

This post cracked me up! Poor Sophia, cleaning the real way IS hard!
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Operation: Party Crashers, Recon Mission =-.

2. says

Love it!
    Very familiar around here, too! My hubby refuses to put anything away that doesn’t belong to him….his way of cleaning is to stack other peoples (MY) stuff up and leave it in the middle of the table. Meanwhile, I am putting my stuff away and his stuff and doing his laundry on top of mine and the kids. So now Bear tries to clean that way too….”that’s not mine” or “here mommy, this is yours” are lines heard around my house now. GRRRR!
    I’m so on board if you figure out a cleaning boot camp for kiddos and hubbys!
    .-= Sara´s last blog ..Eau de Spit Up =-.

3. Kim aka Mama Grits says

That is exactly how Paige “cleans!!!”
    .-= Kim aka Mama Grits´s last blog ..A little wordless wednesday, a little doggy submission =-.

4. Crunchy says

Oh the irony of listening to my husband go on about cleaning up after oneself and putting dishes away when he himself leaves piles in his office

5. says

First of all, that’s a darling little area. I can’t believe I’m jealous of your closet.

My husband will clean really good when he wants to. Which is about once a year. Other than that, it’s about the same as yours.
    .-= C @ Kid Things´s last blog ..Get Off My Lawn! =-.

6. says

First of all, OMG- how cute is she??! Second of all, that is hilarious. My husband has the same cleaning tactic and my children seem to have inherited it as well. These days, though, out of sight is fine with me!

7. says

HA! My husband does the same thing at night when he’s helping out our son straighten up his room. Together they just kind of shove everything over to the walls, leaving a path from the door to the bed. Sigh….

Found you over on The Flying Chulapa, and now following! Happy Monday!

• says

Oh man! That would kill me! Thank goodness so far my 2 year old son is anal like me and says NO DADDY THAT GOES HERE if his daddy tries to put anything in the wrong place!

8. says

Hey there! Thanks for coming over from Scary Mommy’s to visit my blog!
    Your daughter is stinkin’ adorable and this post is all too true. Why do men lack the clean gene? Seriously. It’s so annoying.

9. says

Read this last week, but was thinking about it at 3am last night (pregsomnia, i guess) and I wondered if you could teach her the difference between “cleaning” and “clearing off” which is really what she is doing here by dumping all her stuff off the floor/into a container without organizing, etc. Sure, there are times when “clearing off” has to be done – guests are coming at a moments notice, or whatever – but it’s not actually “clean” until the organization occurs since you still won’t be able to find what you’re looking for if it is all in a jumble, shoved somewhere haphazardly. Or is she too young for that, yet?
    .-= Christiana´s last blog ..10 on Tuesday 6-29-10 =-.

10. says

You are hilarious! You are so creative!! Her kitchen closet is FABULOUS!! I adore it!

I have this same argument with my hubs – his “cleaning” is legendary – everything is spotless but gone into the black hole of our house, never to be seen again.

While I do appreciate his efforts I abhore his methods –

Your daughter is a beauty!!

Gotta love blog bouncing – I found you on ScaryMommy and I am so happy!! I will be following:)
    Erin recently posted… What do you mean by thatMy Profile