Crazy Happy

posted in: Childhood, Get to Know Me 16 comments

This is second of five posts over ten days as part of Momalom’s Five for Ten.  We are all writing about the same topics in an honest effort to get to know one another better and make more connections. Our first topic was Courage.  The second is Happiness.  If you are already a regular Mommy Words visitor, I hope you enjoy these posts.  If you are here as a part of the Five for Ten, welcome!  I can’t wait to get to know you.

After my post on my sister’s courageous decision to give her children up for adoption and all the tears I shed thinking about motherhood and family and grief, I was nervous about approaching this topic.  I wasn’t sure I had it in me.

Then I looked at my kids and they were laughing hysterically over touching each other’s belly buttons.  I started laughing too and showed my belly button.  They laughed even harder and so did I.  (These are the only people I will allow to laugh at my belly.)  I asked them if they were happy and Sophia said “I’m Crazy Mommy!” Miles just said “Ha-hee” (he drops all consonants) and continued to giggle.  They are, and I am, Crazy Happy.  Happy about everything…and nothing at all…except our funny bellies of course.

I remembered my childhood and I remembered my mother and most of all, I remember how she spent each and every day making us crazy happy about something while (now I know) she and my father struggled with their marriage, their bills, their 4 kids…you know…grown-up stuff.  Kids don’t have to and shouldn’t have to deal with all that crap so they can easily giggle for hours about any ol’ thing.  This is precious stuff.

This is the kind of happiness that becomes so hard to grasp as an adult.  I want to focus on the little things that make me smile, make me giggle, and yes, make me snort with glee.  I want to want to delight in the many blessings I have.  I have a hunk of a husband who loves me.  I have 3 ridiculously awesome children.  I have a wonderful (if slightly dysfunctional) family.  I have good friends.  I have love and laughter in my life every single day.

Still, I am a grownup with giant overwhelming STUFF in my life that tries to suppress my joy.  You are probably a similar grownup with these emotional, financial or physical demons.  Let’s let it go…just a little.

Let the happiness in.  Let go of all the tough stuff for a bit.  Focus on the things that give you pleasure, if only for a moment.  Focus on that CRAZY HAPPY we all found as children and let it back in.  It feels good to laugh hysterically and gasping for breath, realize that things aren’t so bad you can’t take a moment and be happy.

Here is my CRAZY HAPPY look, circa 1983, with my baby brother Graham.  Thanks Mom, for giving me so many years of hysterically wonderful moments.  I cherish them.  You are a rock star and you still make me happy every single day.

I’m gonna bring back this part of myself, even if it takes a glass of wine to do it.  I will, however, avoid pigtails now that I am a grownup.  I am not sure I can rock this look anymore.

Latest posts by Brittany (see all)

• May 13, 2010 Kelly

Crazy Happy is the best feeling in the world. I think this is one of the best parts of parenthood. We get to reconnect with the Crazy Happy that gets lost in the shuffle of hormones and puberty and grown-up-ness.

• May 13, 2010 Julie

Wow! Amazing. I wouldn’t change a thing about the post. It was done from the heart and is breathtaking in it’s beauty. I look forward to reading more of your blog.

• May 13, 2010 Cheryl

That picture is priceless! And who knows, maybe you can bring those rockin’ pigtails back!
    .-= Cheryl´s last blog ..The Blogging Rachel Ray =-.

• May 14, 2010 michelle fang avitable

Love the picture of you and Graham!

• May 14, 2010 Dumb Mom

How stinkin’ cute! You should totally link this to my Old School Photo Friday! And, crazy happy looks pretty awesome on you; you should post a pic of your current crazy-happy look. My #2 calls it supernatural-good.
    .-= Dumb Mom´s last blog ..Wordful Wednesday: Unbelievably Beautiful Photos =-.

• May 14, 2010 schmutzie
  • May 14, 2010 Zandi

friends like you are a big part of what makes me CRAZY HAPPY :)
    love the picture !

• May 14, 2010 Stacia

Hear, hear for hunky husbands, ridiculously awesome children, hilarious belly buttons, dropping all consonants because you can, pigtails at any age, and moms who rock! Love this post. It makes me happy. =>
    .-= Stacia´s last blog ..Five for Ten: Memory =-.

• May 14, 2010 TheKitchenWitch

That picture says it all. I wonder what had you two in stitches like that? Your mama must have been one funny lady! Love it.
    .-= TheKitchenWitch´s last blog ..Veg-Head Monday: Zucchini Stuffed Tomatoes =-.

• May 14, 2010 Judy Balloff

I must have been doing the Mickey Mouse impersonation!!! The hat and big white gloves are gone now, but nothing will erase the crazy happy days I had as the Mom of my 4 rockin wonderful kids! (You can ask any of my friends or colleagues)…I have told them all…the happiest days of my life were raising you 4 hysterically funny, never dull children!

• May 14, 2010 C @ Kid Things

Love the crazy happy look. My son gets one similar.
    .-= C @ Kid Things´s last blog ..Remembering Yesterday =-.

• May 16, 2010 Sarah

Oh Brittany, this post made me smile wide and laugh laugh laugh. (Especially the bit about the pigtails at the end.)

I am still amazed to wake up every morning and be the one in charge around here. Be the one to worry if the mortgage has been paid, and the one to have to do all the laundry. What happened? I want to be the kid again.

But you are right. While there are important things we MUST do as the parents, we need to know when to let them go a little so that we can stop and experience the !!! with our beautiful children.

Beautiful post.

• I love that picture! Crazy happy is such a great phrase because we all know exactly what it means… that place of pure silly joy that can’t be forced or forgotten. And its so hard to come by. This post is a great reminder to me to try to embrace this feeling everyday. I want to look like you in that pic… even if that means I must wear pigtails!!
    .-= Rachel @ MWF Seeking BFF´s last blog ..I’ve Bin Thinking About Your Ignerince =-.

• May 16, 2010 Lisa Rae @ smacksy

A lovely post, a beautiful message.
    And that photo? I can’t take the cuteness!
    .-= Lisa Rae @ smacksy´s last blog ..Smacksy Sunday Link: My Parents Were Awesome =-.