Run to the Sun…and Enjoy the Rain

posted in: Travel 34 comments

I got an email from Wild Dunes Resort in South Carolina on Thursday offering a deluxe room at the Boardwalk Inn for $79.  I checked the weather and saw that we would have one day of sun.  This is all I needed to hear baby.  It has been NASTY here.  I called and booked our tushies a room for one night of fun at the beach.

For those of you who do not know me yet – yes we have kids and yes – we will travel and we love short trips as much as long ones.  Sometimes a day or two with little kids is perfect.   The beach is a 3 hour drive for us and it is alwasy worth it.

I want to take my babies to wonderful places even if it is a little painful to get there with the little ones.  In truth – I want to be that family that goes around the world with my kids.  But with a 5 week old, the beach was enough.

We had one day of sun and one day of rain and we packed in a ton of fun and laughs and we got  little wet – in the pool and in the rain.  It was good to get away!

The best part – momma got pictures!

This is, in fact, the first picture our our entire new family.  It is sad that we have not had anyone take our picture yet.  I tell you it is tough with 3 kids 3 and under to get any pictures.  It is clear why.  Ross is physically holding Miles back and Sophia stopped mid run to take the picture.  Violet doesn’t get that she has to look at the camera.  Oh well, I will cherish it as I am sure family pics will be few and far between!

First Family Picture

I got a couple pictures of my precious Violet – she seemed confused by the bright sun and the wind but she was happy.  Sunshine does us all good!

Violet's First Beach Visit

Miles had a blast in the sand and gosh I just think he is so handsome.

Miles Loves the Sand

I am not sure he is that bright yet – or maybe he was just really hungry.  He kept eating the sand.  Gross!

Boys are Nasty

The beach was sunny but not too warm.  At 65 degrees with wind we ran in and out of the ocean and focused on finding our shells and building with sand.  As I got pictures of all my kids I realized that I have been a mom for more than 3 years and all of my kids have been on this beach in the first few months of their life.  It will always hold a place in my heart.

A Quick Break from the Sandcastle

Just because the beach was too cold didn’t mean no swimming.  There is a heated pool!  As long as the sun is out my little fish will be in the pool.  They loved it!

Sophie on the Pool Steps

Miles as a Shark!

The best thing about Wild Dunes besides the beach is that it is a mere 30 minutes from Charleston – a place with great food and wonderful history that is packed with things to do.

We hit the Children’s Museum  of the Lowcountry in the early evening.   We are fast becoming Children’s Museum connoisseurs and this is one of our favorites.  There are so many great rooms but we spent a lot of time this weekend in the water room.   Sophia and Miles played Picasso for nearly an hour while running between their artwork and a giant boat in the next room.

My Little Picassos

Across the street from the museum is 39 Rue de Jean is a fabulous little french cafe in Charleston for lunch.  Turns out it is great for dinner too and they were great with kids.   Even my very tired and quickly becoming crabby kids.  Usually they like it here but we were a little beat.  Thank God the table cloths are covered with paper and brand new Crayolas (and man I love brand new crayons as much as anyone!).   I must admit as good as the food was – the kids had small meltdowns and barely made it.  Life with little ones huh!

This is okay but I'd Love some McNuggets

The next morning we woke up to the rain and chilly temperatures and spent some time consoling Sophia, who had packed 3 spring dresses and was devastated.  How did we console her?  With the news that we were going to eat breakfast in the hotel (she loves breakfast out) and that we were going to the aquarium to see the fishies!  After breakfast, which was free for the kids, and made me very happy, we threw our stuff in the car and headed to the South Carolina Aquarium.  We have never met a building full of fish that we did not like!

The Ocean Wall - Stunning

Baltimore, New Orleans, Charleston we hit aquariums whenever we can.  We also love Sea World and even the little ponds inside many embassy suites and the fish tank in our doctors office.  Got fish?  We’re there.  And boy do they have fish.  And alligators for Miles – who is obsessed.  And sharks.  And this time – the penguins were visiting!

The real  penguins were great but they also had an exhibit where you could see how tall you were compared to different types of penguins.  As soon as Sophia heard that this guy was 37″ she said its the Ikea penguin and was overjoyed when she was taller than it.  You see, she was rejected from the Ikea play world over the summer and was devastated.  They said she was not 37″ even though her doctor said she was.  So, this little penguin showed her that she can now play away while mommy shops.  Good news for all!

The Ikea Penguin

Miles spent a lot of time saying “huh?” when he kept seeing open tanks and we kept telling him he could not put his hands in. He was not so hot on this as he loves at good animal love bite. He has thusfar been nibbled by a horse and a goat, licked by a cow and a camel’s teeth rubbed him on a hayride. What’s a little fish nibble? This boy loves all wildlife and wants to touch it badly!

Why is it open if you can't put your hands in?

We spent the morning at the aquarium seeing the fish and playing in their children’s areas.  They have a fishing boat with a phone – for the little girls like Sophia who are already obsessed with phones.  She was happy talking to her friends on the boats radio and telling them about her trip.

"Look Mom I found a Phone!"

Miles loved the Camp Carolina play area because they had a bouncy bridge over real water and snakes under the floor.  Yep – snakes.  He was in heaven.

Miles Watching the Snakes

When I said it was time to go.  Miles told me no.  And gave me a look that could kill.

Miles Does Not Want to Leave

We did leave, after a great 24 hours in South Carolina.  We packed back in the car, stopped at a Cracker Barrel, stuffed ourselves, bought some candy and got on the road.  My little ones slept until the last 30 minutes and then watched a movie quietly in the car.  A perfect drive with little kids.

We may not have had perfect weather but we had a perfectly wonderful time.

• February 26, 2010 Eclipsed

Following via Friday Follow and I’m glad I did. Such a great blog and such a beautiful family. Although I am jealous of the warm weather pics as I sit in over a foot of snow. I’m slightly bitter :)

• February 26, 2010 jing lejano

Your kids are adorable!!! We love the beach as well here :)
    .-= jing lejano´s last blog ..Northern Exposure =-.

• February 26, 2010 Crystal Martin

That sounds like so much fun and the pictures are great! I sure wish we could get away for a few days. I am so over this winter weather!
    .-= Crystal Martin´s last blog ..Is it really Friday? FF #7 =-.

• February 26, 2010 Nicole

Wow! What a fantastic mini vacation. Looks like you all had a wonderful time. I can’t wait to go on vacation now! Thanks for sharing.

• February 26, 2010 Brittany

Vacations are so great – we get away whenever we can. No matter how short you get a new look on life and get to have lots of cool experiences and pictures in different places!

• February 26, 2010 Vodka Logic

Great family picture and what a busy weekend. I love aquariums too.
    .-= Vodka Logic´s last blog ..My [miss]Adventures in the Midwest Part three =-.

• February 26, 2010 The Boob Nazi

How do I get emails like that?!?!?
    .-= The Boob Nazi´s last blog ..Things I Hate That Most People Like =-.

• February 26, 2010 Brittany

You have to be signed up for their annoying distribution lists. Normally on my lists of things I hate!

• February 26, 2010 Lynn @ Midday Escapades

Enjoyed reading about your trip and seeing the pics of your adorable family. We used to also loved taking short trips when the boys were younger.

Thanks for linking up with Friday Follow! I am now your blog follower. Have a wonderful weekend and pleasure to meet ya.

~ Lynn

• February 26, 2010 Shell

Looks like a lot of fun! We’ll have to check out that children’s museum. We have family not far from Charleston.

Found you through FF.

• February 26, 2010 Shannon

What adorable babies! Love the pics!

Happy Friday. Yay for weekends too!

I am your newest follower from Friday follow, I’d love it if you came and checked out my blog too!

Shan

• February 26, 2010 amie

The photos are fantastic. You all look wonderful.
    .-= amie´s last blog ..A Little TMI Otherwise Known As The Return Of My Period (I Think) =-.

• February 26, 2010 missy

Hi – following from Follow Friday. With our snow coming down here AGAIN, that beach looks mighty tempting!
    .-= missy´s last blog ..Dear So and So =-.

• February 26, 2010 joan

What fantastic pictures! The ones on the beach are my favorite! What a beautiful family you all make!! Cheers!
    .-= joan´s last blog ..Missing Sunsets =-.

• February 26, 2010 Rita A

What a great trip. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for supporting Friday Follow. Have a wonderful weekend. Rita @ http://one2try.blogspot.com/

• February 26, 2010 Amanda T

Hey Im following back from Friday Follow. I hope you win the penguin for your little girl :)

• February 26, 2010 xenia

What great pictures! It sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

Thanks so much for stopping by, I’m already following your cute blog!
    .-= xenia´s last blog ..GIVEAWAY: What do you love? Show it with an "I ♥ _____" shirt from Fibers.com ($25 gift certificate) =-.

• February 26, 2010 Kel - rewritingkel

Beautiful post, adorable children. Glad you had a wonderful trip. :)

• February 26, 2010 Stephanie @ Geezees

You kids are so beautiful!!!
    Sounds like you had a great trip!!
    .-= Stephanie @ Geezees´s last blog ..Funky Finds Friday, Millicent & Metal – New weekly feature ! =-.

• February 26, 2010 amber

Beautiful pics! You are a brave mama, but it looks like that trip was worth the hassle. What I wouldn’t give to be 3 hours from the ocean…
    .-= amber´s last blog ..The Life of a Goddess (minus all the perks). =-.

• February 26, 2010 Becca

AWE! Your kids are adorable!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am your newest follower!
    .-= Becca´s last blog ..She’s Growing Up =-.

• February 26, 2010 Zen Mom

Now I’m totally jealous too. We are seriously land-locked here with no beach within 1200 miles and no warmth either. Too much snow.

The pictures are great. What a beautiful family.
    .-= Zen Mom´s last blog ..Sweet Sixteen =-.

• February 27, 2010 shraddha

my God you are one hot mama!!
    .-= shraddha´s last blog ..One Single Impression Poetry Prompt- Running =-.

• February 28, 2010 Brittany

What a self esteem boost! Thanks Shraddha! You rock!

• February 27, 2010 Heather

Looks like you had a great time, love the family picture. Wish we had a beach to go to that was warmer right now.
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Favorite things Friday #3 =-.

• February 27, 2010 Bridgette Groschen

Hi There! I’m a new follower from Friday Follow still poking around all the fun blogs! Have a good Saturday. Hope you can come visit my blog!

Bridgette Groschen
    The Groschen Goblins
    .-= Bridgette Groschen´s last blog ..Friday Follow – A Celebration of Followers =-.

• February 27, 2010 Anna

Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday and for following me! Your family is beautiful and I’m sure you’ll be very happy to have to pictures when they are older. That museum and acquarium look great! Your blog is very cute too.

Anna
    .-= Anna´s last blog ..Nicey Jane Fabric =-.

• February 27, 2010 Liza

I heard about your blog from Katy (I will leave her last name off, she’s a massage therapist and I work with her here in Franklin, TN). I’m 6 months pregnant and she lead me to your post where you listed everything that you needed in the beginning! So helpful! I’m looking forward to following your blog – your family is beautiful and your blog is just great. Congrats on all your achievements!
    .-= Liza´s last blog ..Hmm… =-.

• February 28, 2010 existentialwaitress

What a wonderful trip! Everyone looks so happy – you have a beautiful family! I love trips like this too. I used to be afraid of traveling with my little ones, but we have had so many fantastic trips – traveling with little ones really can be a blast!
    .-= existentialwaitress´s last blog ..If my man wants a sausage party, by golly I give it to him! =-.

• February 28, 2010 Jenn

Love the pictures!! Following you back from Follow friday! Better late than never!! :)

• March 1, 2010 Kristi

Looks like you all had a great time! It is always so nice to get away even if it is just a day or two! By the way you look amazing for just having a baby!
    .-= Kristi´s last blog ..Guess what =-.

• Looks like you guys had a complete blast!! Thanks for sharing the pictures! Your babies are beautiful!
    .-= Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com´s last blog ..Yes, That Was Me Banging My Head Against the Wall =-.

• March 1, 2010 Deb K

Beautiful Pictures!

I’m following you from MBC FFF

You have a great looking blog!

• March 3, 2010 Jacqie

Hi from MBC! Your family is gorgeous. Love your review of the rocker as well.