I Wish This Baby Was Just Lazy

posted in: My Life 19 comments

I really thought I just had a lazy baby. Just a lie around in the placental pool kind of girl. You know, soak in the nutrients, bask in the warmth of the womb, listen to the soothing wave like sounds of the uterus. She is a roller, not a kicker. So I thought hey – she is lazy. Then, on Sunday, she stopped rolling. I thought, “Man this chick is tired.”

On Monday I drank a lot of sugar juice, ate tons of candy and let the kids rough house with me all day. All of these things usually excite or piss off a fetus enough to try and kick your ass from within using their little tiny legs. Not my girl. All yesterday she remained my lazy baby.  Then I thought it must be the sleep aid I took – baby must be really conked out.  While this did not make me happy – I waited.  Laid on my left side.  Pushed really hard on my giant belly from all angles.  NOTHING.

This morning I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get the kids to school and then I dropped them off and went to get my morning lifelineDiet Coke when I realized that still my baby girl was not moving.  So I called the OB and left a message.  Unlike the usual wait of a majillion hours – the nurse called me back in less than a half hour.  Excuse my language but SHIT!  The wonderful nurse, the same who has had to tell me that I lost pregnancies when my HCG levels plummeted, asked me if I had done a kick check.  This means the baby kicks, at 30 weeks, about 10 times in an hour.  I said I have RLS and lay awake for hours on my left side.  I said I tried to make the baby move.   This little chicken was not kickin’.  She said she didn’t want to just check for a heartbeat and that my doctor would want me to  have an ultrasound and then have me meet with the doctor on call.

Appointment time: 2:30.

Miles’ nap time:  1:30 -3:30

Sophia’s Ballet Time:  4:00

I dropped Sophia off at her dad’s office and prayed for the best taking Miles with me.  Part of me thought it might be quick and he might make it though the visit a happy camper.

When we got there I really still thought this was going to be one of those things where I go in and then baby girl starts kicking around having an amniotic pool party and being all dramatic about making herself known and me look like an ass.  I only wish!

The ultrasound tech saw a strong heartbeat and my beautiful baby girl did start her rolling back and forth again but turns out she is a roller because she is breech and she may be having trouble moving around because I have low amniotic fluid.  Turns out there’s no pool party in there.  While the levels are not dangerously low (I have not previously googled low amniotic fluid and had a very unhappy Miles with me so I was the dumbass who did not ask for an actual number) she said they wanted to do an NST or a fetal Non Stress Test.

Completing a 20 minute test with a huge band around your tummy and a 19 month old on your lap is exhausting and takes longer than 20 minutes.  It took us almost 45 minutes to get 20 minutes of data on baby’s heartbeat.  Miles cried on my lap the whole time.  Big crocodile tears.  He was scared of the machine so he would not lay next to me.  Instead, he sat on top of my knees the whole freaking time.  With my RLS I would categorize this as almost extreme pain.  I could hear the heartbeat though.  It was faint, because she is all ass backwards in there, but it was steady for the most part.

From the NST room to the doctor’s room we went.  Time now almost 4 pm.  Miles was exhausted.  So was I.  The doctor basically told me that they needed to see me within the week to re-check the fluid levels and that low fluid could be caused by a leak, by placenta problems (again with my f’ed up placenta I know!) or by issues with the baby’s kidneys.  She said that many women are able to go full term with no problems but that the low fluid would make it hard for the baby to turn around and that it would need monitoring.

We finally left at 4:15 p.m.  Miles was hysterically crying and I was tearing up.  We drove straight to ballet at this point to pick Sophia and Ross up.  Miles got no nap today.  Turns out my little fetus is not just napping in there either.  I REALLY thought my girl was just a loafer and was not expecting this news.  I am still glad to know what is going on.  As I learn more I will let you know!

While I am going to attempt to remain positive, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.  I would really like to deliver a full term baby without the need for a c-section if at all possible.

I am off to google the crap out of getting babies to turn around and I am sure I will end up freaking myself out if I keep looking at low amniotic fluid scenarios!

Do remember though – mommy instincts are good.  My husband thought I was being silly at first.  The doctor was very glad I had come in.  She said this was something that was important to find and that it is best that we monitor it and have a plan for me and the baby.

If you have questions or concerns about your health, whether pregnant or not, do more than google it.  Call your doctor.  Make an appointment.  Then you can google the bajiminies out of some real information when you get home.

• November 24, 2009 Becki

Totally praying for you! I can’t imagine the stress of it all..but at least you make it *sound* funny!
    .-= Becki´s last blog ..Razzle Dazzle =-.

• November 24, 2009 Brittany

Oh thanks! What I am trying to do is make them sound funny be actually be shorter! My posts are too long! It’s like I can’t shut up already! No wonder I couldn’t do the boards well – too much typing!

• November 24, 2009 Candice

I’m so glad that everything is relatively okay. You and the baby girl are in my thoughts. (And Miles – poor kiddo, going without a nap. I’d be cranky, too.)
    .-= Candice´s last blog ..7 Quick Tuesday Takes – gratitude edition =-.

• November 24, 2009 amie

Good going a trusting your instincts. She still has a whole bunch of time to turn around. Sending good vibes!
    .-= amie´s last blog ..Another Reason to Love Fall =-.

• November 24, 2009 EcoMeg

I am very happy you went in to see your Doc. Am sending good vibes your way that you can hang on for many more weeks before delivery!

• November 24, 2009 blueviolet

I am a HUGE believer in mommy instincts so I’m glad you had it checked out. I will be praying for you!
    .-= blueviolet´s last blog ..Ok K’nex, I Give Up. You Win. =-.

• November 25, 2009 Charlene

Oh wow – I totally know this panic. You poor thing! I’m sure everything will be fine but I also know it’s hard not to worry. I’m so glad you posted the advice about calling the Dr. – that’s SO important! I had several issues myself (including m/c, placenta issues etc) and sometimes felt “silly” or didn’t want the Dr. to think I was a “complainer” or whatever. But we just have to get over whatever we are feeling and remember it’s better to be told “it’s nothing” than have an issue go unaddressed. At the end of my my last pregnancy I just KNEW something wasn’t right and pushed aggressively for an ultrasound just before my due date. Thank God I did because my son was breach! And they had been telling me his head was DOWN and I was effaced. (It was his butt – LOL!)

Anyway – sendin gpositive prayers your way — all the best to you and baby! :-)
    .-= Charlene´s last blog ..Remember the Alamo =-.

• November 25, 2009 magda

Brit. You are more patient and courageous than I. You held out far longer than I would have before racing to the dr. Relieved to hear that everything is ok. Trust your instincts. Visit the dr. as many times as you suspect you should. If they tell you everything is fine and send you on your way, great. if they tell you otherwise, then they can take care of you and baby there and then. Being solely responsible for the life inside you is tremendous. speaking of people inside of us, my husband just came to me as i type this comment and tried to get sexy. gross. i sent him away.

between the needs of the babies, the dogs begging for petting and Andy’s daily circling, it is just too much. he will have to pet himself. the babies and dogs cannot do it for themselves. he can. sorry TMI.

hang in there. thanks for letting me vent on your blog.
    .-= magda´s last blog ..Feelin Handy? =-.

• November 25, 2009 Naomi de la Torre

So happy to hear that you trusted your instincts. We all need to do this as mothers. Your post was entertaining despite the real gravity of the situation. You are such a talented writer. I will pray for you and your sweet baby. Take good care of yourself and try to enjoy the holidays!

• November 25, 2009 TooManyHats

So glad you listened to your gut – God gave us those mommy instincts for a reason.
    .-= TooManyHats´s last blog ..Almost Thanksgiving =-.

• November 25, 2009 Monique

What a frightening and exhausting day!! Like everyone else said, thank goodness you listened to your mommy instinct.
    .-= Monique´s last blog ..Ironman Arizona. From a spectator’s point of view. =-.

• November 25, 2009 Melanie

You’re always in my thoughts and prayers, but I’ll say even more now!!! For both you and the un-named kiddy in your tummy! Happy Thanksgiving! ~Melanie

• November 25, 2009 Sophia's Mom

Oh Wow! I had never heard of a baby with low amniotic fluid… shows you how much I know! I will keep you and your sweet baby girl in my prayers!
    .-= Sophia’s Mom´s last blog ..The Studio by Danielson Designs: Review and Giveaway =-.

• November 25, 2009 michelle

Oh! I can just imagine how scared you were/are. These type things are the worst things about pregnancy. I wish oneo f us bloggies could have cybered our way there to help with Miles while you were having your NST. Lily was a little younger when I was having to climb on those dreaded tables and she hated it! I am completely emphathizing with you on this one!
    .-= michelle´s last blog ..The Love Awards =-.

• November 25, 2009 Zen Mom

So sorry you had to go through this all…I know how frightening it all can be. But glad you trusted your instinct. Rest up and know my thoughts and prayers are with you right now.
    .-= Zen Mom´s last blog ..Healthcare Reform, Stinker Style =-.

• November 25, 2009 AmyMusings

Oh, Sheesh! You scared me!! I had to scroll down to find out what! what! what!

I hope everything works out beautifully. Maybe you have a mellow, sweet, little tomboy.
    .-= AmyMusings´s last blog ..My Plan to Never Wind Up in a Nursing Home =-.

• November 26, 2009 Kristi

I hope everything works out for you! I had the same problem while pregnant and they freaked me out by telling me that. When I went back to get check again everything was fine. I honestly dont remember why they said it happened. I want to say that it could have been dehydration for some reason but could be totally off. I have a horrible memory. Hopefully everything will be just fine next week.
    .-= Kristi´s last blog ..Pure Innocence =-.