CPSC Crib Recall – What You Gonna Do?

posted in: Opinion, Safety 19 comments
Image from CPSC Release

Image from CPSC Release

The Issue

The Consumer Products Safety Commission and Health Canada announced today the recall of more than 2.1 million Stork Craft drop-side cribs.  This comes after prior recalls of drop-side cribs and before an expected discussion around banning drop side cribs altogether.

Toys R Us / Babies R Us stopped ordering drop side cribs in April and indicated they will be phasing them out completely.  Many crib manufacturers have already stopped making this type of crib.

While the recall deals with what the CPSC considers faulty manufacturing in a specific crib, there is a real reason to consider getting rid of your non-recalled drop-side crib, particularly if it has seen a lot of use or has been taken apart and re-assembled many times.  The hardware that makes the drop side cribs possible does not stand up well to that kind of wear and tear.  This, to me, is terrifying.  Many cribs are handed down and taken apart and put back together time after time.  Cribs are considered pieces of furniture and as such should hold up to years of use.

This particular issue hits close to home.  I hate to admit this but Miles is currently sleeping in a crib that I am working over time to replace.  He has a VERY expensive solid wood Bratt Decor crib, that after about a year with Sophia (and we barely used the drop side) and 10 months with him since he has been in a crib and not our room, has a broken piece in the drop side mechanism.   I have “fixed” the side so that it is now stationery and does not drop but this is temporary.  We will no longer have any drop-side cribs in our home.

Please note that Bratt Decor stopped making drop-side cribs in 2008 and that the company is offering customers with a drop-side crib 25% off a stationary gate or kits to fix their older model iron cribs stationary.  Bratt Decor makes some GORGEOUS cribs and now they are all stationery so you should check them out!

The history – we were not hard on this at all.  We took the crib apart and put it back together 3 times.  First we assembled it for Sophia.  Then we disassembled it and re-assembled it to move it to Miles’ room.  Then we did that once again when we switched the two rooms.  Only 3 times and the little plastic slider thing broke.  This is not the same issue that the cribs recalled have, but it is an issue.  From the beginning I thought that the drop side was sketchy on all cribs.  That is why I never used it.  Maybe – just maybe – the side has been dropped a dozen times.

So, what do you think of this recall? I know that tons of people swear by their drop side cribs.  Maybe I would if I had not had the experience I related.  Do you think you will make a change in your little one’s sleeping arrangements or purchase a new crib for future children?  No judgies here – just curious!  I am one of those “If the CPSC says it – I do it gals” so you can tell why I am trying to get rid of it as soon as possible.  I would love to hear your thoughts!

My Solution?

As you know, I like to build things and I have been designing a new crib for quite some time and just never got around to finishing the plans and building it.   My thoughts…

My ideal crib would start out lower than the standard these days.  Both my kids have been injured hiding underneath the crib and getting huge scrapes from the metal mattress support.  Why would I want anything that my kids can hide under and get stuck under anyway?  This always irked me.  I have no need for a fancy crib skirt either.  This would eliminate  that need and make the crib a little less prominent and easier for me to get into to begin with!

My ideal crib would have four stationery, or locked sides, when baby is sleeping.

My Ideal crib would be convertible and practical day to day.   The front and back will be removeable either one at a time or together to create a toddler bed and then a full bed.  My current plan has a front gate that would lift completely out (remember this crib is closer to the ground so this is an easy feat) and then lock in place when put back.  Not only does this make the low profile crib like a little couch when not sleeping and an automatic toddler bed when wanted but it accomplishes a very important goal.  Changing the crib sheets will be a cinch!  I am actually 50 / 50 on whether or not I would need the crib to be convertible to a real bed at all, but it is a nice feature to have – as long as the conversion does not cost a majillion dollars!

My ideal crib would be simple and understated and be able to blend into the room.    Now that I almost on my third I have been though the elimination of crib bumpers and all decorative elements or items inside the crib already.  Now I just want something simple that works.  I think simple lines will work in any decor.

I have 2 designs right now and I must implement soon as Miles can get out of his crib already and that terrifies me!  I have mock-ups of both designs and both meet the guidelines of the CPSC and the stricter guidelines I have seen out there on some manufacturers sites.  Both are extremely simple in design with as few pieces as possible, making them safer for baby and easier on mom and dad!  While I am sure I will pull my hair out building it – this is what I have come up with.  I may just build him a toddler bed and really take my time with the crib for the new baby.

I am really a DIY and Type A kind of gal.  If I know what I want and I can’t find it I will just figure out how to make it.  This is my toughest challenge yet.   What do you think?

• November 23, 2009 Loukia

Wow, if you can make this amazing crib you’re designing a reality, thath would be amazing! You are amazing, you know that? Great ideas… sounds just perfect! We do have a drop side crib that our 22 month old is still in, but we’re hoping to get him out of it soon. My oldest son used this crib, too, when he was a baby, they both slept in the Arms Reach Co-Sleeper, though, for the first 6 months or so. Scary, I hate when things are recalled!
    .-= Loukia´s last blog ..Christmas traditions =-.

• November 24, 2009 Brittany

Arm’s reach co-sleeper is the bees knees babe! Both of mine made it 6 or so months in there and then a couple in the pack and play before the crib anyway. So I do have some time if I build Miles a b bed now. Sophia was ready at 19 months but he is just so…silly? I don’t want to call my baby boy slow but I am not sure if he is ready!

• November 23, 2009 Becki

You know, if you give up on the building a crib idea, we just found one at IKEA that meets all of your standards (I think). Its smaller, lower, and completely stationary…plus…cheap…only about $160. When all the cribs got recalled beofre, our local TV station did a piece on it. Apparently it has 5 star safety reviews.
    I’m hoping that the prices drop on stationary cribs since dropsides are no longer a viable option. I know that is one of the main arguments for dropsides…they really are cheaper. I know another argument is that it is hard to reach in and get the baby…but I can attest to the fact that it isn’t that bad. I’m only 5’2 and have no problems at all.
    Drop the dropsides! :)
    .-= Becki´s last blog ..Razzle Dazzle =-.

• November 24, 2009 Brittany

I actually looked at that crib last week and will gain next week with Zandi to see how it is put together and if I want to go thesame route or different. I think I can build it for less than $80, which would leave room for some other stuff! I so missed that you had a blog I will be popping over after drop off!

• November 24, 2009 Zandi

oh Bex, she won’t give up on the idea of building one… this is Brittany the Builder ( Bob the Builders much Spunkier, Sexier, Sophisticated, Savvy, Strong-Minded, Scrutinizing, Stubborn and Skilled Sister!!) LOL
    She was talking about this idea before Miles was born. That doesn’t mean your IKEA point is not valid, on the contrary, I’ve heard its one of the best.
    GO for it Brittany! Show us whatchugot.
    .-= Zandi´s last blog ..Lucky 13 =-.

• November 24, 2009 Becki

Zandi, I totally wrote this comment before I checked out Handy Manny’s (ahem…Handy Brittany’s) How-To section! Yep, I’m guessing the crib will be built before this comment even posts…
      I wish I had mad carpentery skills!!!!
      .-= Becki´s last blog ..Razzle Dazzle =-.

• November 24, 2009 Zandi

lol @ least now you can see that I wasn’t just being bitchy! LOL – she is quite something eh!
        .-= Zandi´s last blog ..Lucky 13 =-.

• November 24, 2009 Toni

Thanks so much for the info! I’m really concerned with this bed. We own one and have always had problems with the side not staying put, detatching from the rail. My baby is not currently sleeping in it but has become a co-sleeper with me. I love your crib design and totally think you should do it! I’m in the process of looking for a new crib
    .-= Toni´s last blog ..CPSC Crib Recall – What You Gonna Do? =-.

• November 24, 2009 MommyB

So I have a StorkCraft, booo!!! They actually recalled one of the metal pieces that holds the mattress “frame” if you will a few months ago. As for the crib, I’m not too surprised, it’s not that well made and the instructions were brief pictures. I’m a whopping 4 ’10, that’s right 4 feet 10 inches and we took the wheels off the crib and it’s extremely hard for me to get into the crib when it’s on the middle and lowest settings. But I guess they didn’t plan for vertically challenged mommas like me. Anyway really I could take or leave this crib, maybe I’ll get one of mommywords cribs and do a review ;) I haven’t had any detatching from the rail issues, but it does scare me because we were planning on putting baby #2 in it….
    .-= MommyB´s last blog ..Santa Buddies DVD/Blu-Ray Review =-.

• November 24, 2009 Anne

You have probably received this award many times over but wanted to let you know you got it again! See my blog for details. Love your tweets, BTW!
    .-= Anne´s last blog ..I’m Honored =-.

• November 24, 2009 Brittany

Woohoo thank you. One can never have too many pairs of shoes, purses, friends or awards me dear. Thank you thank you!

• November 24, 2009 Brittany

Thanks so much! I am now following your lovely blog! Please keep coming back! I love making new bloggy friends!

• November 24, 2009 TooManyHats

Wow, you certainly sound like an innovative momma. Love to see pics when you build it :)
    .-= TooManyHats´s last blog ..Not To Be Out Done… =-.

• November 24, 2009 EcoMeg

That sounds great. I have been similarly frustrated. Our first crib, bought at buy buy baby, fell apart after 3 yrs. Its weak spot was the drop side too. And I barely used that feature since I’m pretty tall. We bought a second crib, this time from Pottery Barn, which is convertible and beautiful but cost much more than it was worth, in my opinion. And changing the sheets was a HUGE frustration. Would love to have purchased the crib you are now describing! Go for it!

• November 24, 2009 Brittany

Thanks Meg! I am excited to get started! That is awful about your first crib. And I agree PB cribs as well as the one I purchased are WAY overpriced!

• November 25, 2009 Stephanie

Wow, thanks for posting this info. I’m popping over from mommy Bloggers Club. I am now following. Come check my blog out sometime.
    .-= Stephanie´s last blog .. =-.

• Just read about your experience with one of our cribs, and I was saddened and surprised. I wish you had emailed me directly, or called us. We are a very small company, only about 10 people, and we all care about every single experience one has with BD. My husband and I started this company when we were expecting our first child, and we put our heart and soul into every creation and it pains us to know your experience was not good. I’m not sure how old your crib is, but we did stop making drop side gates in 2008, simply because we know moving parts wear out. Please, email me directly, because I’d like more information on exactly what went wrong with your crib. We have offered everyone with a drop gate, 25% off any stationary gate, should they want to switch, and we are also giving our free kits to make older model drop side iron cribs, stationary. Sadly, we don’t have a fix for the wooden ones. It really is both mine and Stephen’s greatest desire that everyone who buys Bratt Decor has a great experience.

• February 4, 2010 Brittany

Mary,

I have added to my post that your cribs are beautiful and that you no longer manufacture cribs with the drops sides. I also added your information for customers who have a drop side crib.

I really did fall in love with your cribs in 2006 when I had my first child and reccomended them to many of my friends, who have them now. The piece that broke was the plastic insert that is located inside the drop crib rail. It snapped where you are supposed to “slide” the crib rail in and then flip it down to lock into to place. I have now made the rail stationery since I did not really use the drop side anyway.

I certainly would have emailed you if my plan was to get another crib like the “Dick”, but I have decided to go a different direction. I am very short and these tall cribs are a problem for me. I loathe changing the crib sheet, do not use bumpers for dafety reasons and like I said in my post, both of my kids have been scratched many a time going underneath a crib. So, the cribs out there today are not for me, especially since I am saving our pennies for a renovation!

I would have no issue purchasing anther Bratt Decor crib for baby Violet if they were low to the ground and I was allowed to spend the money again! Your Soho and Blu cribs are absolutely gorgeous!

I am posting this as a comment so that any readers who may stumble upon this post can see how much I appreciate your note and how lovely I think your cribs are.

• February 5, 2010 Mary Bauer

If you’d like, we’d be happy to send you free hardware for the Dick crib. Send me your address, and we’ll get those right out. It should fix your problem completely.