25 Weeks, 3 Days and Counting

US 10.20.09

Well, sort of counting.  This is my third baby, so while with my first I could have told you that gestational age to the day any day you asked, I only knew today that I was about 24-26 weeks pregnant before it came up on my chart.  That is okay.  I don’t have to read all the books this time either.  I don’t have to wonder about what labor will be like every second of the day.  I don’t have to worry about whether or not I will be able to breastfeed.  I’ve got some things down.    I am just too busy to keep daily track of this beautiful baby.  And I have been too nervous to really think about everything.

Now I can count down.

I have been a huge bundle of nerves leading up to this ultrasound.  Sophia (my 3 year old) has multiple tiny holes in her heart.  We found out when she was a week old.  She has been very lucky and not needed surgery for the tiny holes.  However, with any congenital heart defect they worry (that means I freak out) that something which manifested itself as tiny holes in one child’s heart may just poke its head out as something very different (and worse) in another’s.  Ergo, the high risk ultrasounds and extreme fear on my part.  Today’s ultrasound went perfectly, in the doctor’s opinion.  I could not be happier!  While I am not yet into my third trimester, I am nearing it and so far this little princess is sporting some very thick walls in her heart!

While these walls will not save her from heartbreak in her life, at least she should be born with a 100% unbroken heart.

My heart swelled when I heard the good news.  My heart almost exploded from fear when I rushed with Sophia that first week to the cardiologist.  My heart has grown immesaurably since falling in love and having these precious babies.  My heart has been brusied and patched and torn in my life but now it is in one piece and it is full and growing every day.  Full of the great many blessing I have been given by my family.

So now I will begin the countdown to meeting my precious baby girl, the newest piece of my heart.

And just for kicks, because it is still fascinating the third time around.  Here is what this little chick is up to in there!

This chick has real hair now.    She is rocking fingerprints and footprints.  She can swallow.  She can feel things with those little fingers.  Her hands are fully formed.  Of course she now has bones and skin and fat and a fully formed functional heart.   This chick can hear too – so I try to say nice things.  She’s already sporting a uterus.  You go girl!  Finally, clearly, from the picture, this babe is a looker!

January – here we come!  (Or February – I am always late with these babies!)

Comments

1. says

You’re going to have to watch your language now that she can hear things….bummer. I’m so excited for you! I didn’t know they could see the presence of tiny holes in a baby-fist sized heart when that baby still had 25 (I rounded) more weeks to grow! That’s amazing.

I paid no attention to the delivery books until I was in labor. Then I just needed to look up “Does walking make the labor stop if it’s false labor?” My husband was hoping for false labor because the contractions were three minutes apart (I’m guessing) and it was 4pm. He was hoping to NOT have to have another round the clock labor experience. He didn’t get to pick. :-)

Think happy blissful thoughts!!
    XOxo
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Potty Mouth Mommy =-.

2. says

I loved ur blog…the ultrasound pic is adorable. My daughter is 23 weeks and 1 day today and she is due feb 17,2010 and she is also having a girl. Congrats on that and thanks for sharing:)
    .-= joanna´s last blog .. =-.

3. Michelle says

“My heart has grown immesaurably since falling in love and having these precious babies. My heart has been brusied and patched and torn in my life but now it is in one piece and it is full and growing every day. Full of the great many blessing I have been given by my family.”

I love this. I can totally relate to everything you said. My first was hospitalized the two days after she came home due to some suspected bladder issues that were found on an ultrasound. Everything was fine, but that feeling in the pit of your stomach and the fear is insane.

Congrats on the new baby.

4. Bridget says

Congrats on your pregnacy. I hope everything goes well for you. Thanks for leaving me a comment on my blog!
    .-= Bridget´s last blog ..Giveaway "Serenity – 5×5 Fine Art Print" =-.

5. says

What a beautiful and touching post… brought a tear to my eyey… you are a wonderful mommy! Your newest baby is sooo cute. I’m so happy to hear everything looks great on the u/s! The worry and fear we have as mothers can not easily be explained, but I understand, on some level, how you feel – I found out my first born son had a (treatable) kidney condition at an u/s I had at 32 weeks, called hydronephrosis. It’s basically an enlargred ureter (sp?)… can cause UTI’s, and in some cases, requires surgery… he had 2 bad kidney infections when he was a baby, was hospitalized, the works – not easy to see our children sick, you know? He has since outgrown this condition, and is totally and 100% fine with 2 perfect kidneys, but still – the worry remaims for me. Last year he had pneumonia, and had such a bad case, he was in the hospital for 2 weeks and needed surgery to drain fluid from his lung. I’m sorry I have rambled on so much here! Your post got me all emotional! I wish you the bestest rest of your pregnancy!!!! :) How excited you must be… :)
    .-= Loukia´s last blog ..I’m one very "Scary Mommy" =-.

• says

Oh the worry – the constant worry. I cannot wait to see this little baby and see the first ultrasound of her heart (she will have one to check for tiny holes). I am just so blessed, like you, that Sophia’s holes have not caused her problems and that so far – both my other babies have no heart problems!

6. magda says

What a sweet entry. Can you imagine getting to read a record of your mom’s thoughts such as this. I am thrilled by your mention of her fat. I realize its important to development but it is equally scrumptious. Even when babies are not “fat” the squishyness is wonderful. When it looks as if rubberbands are on their wrists and ankles. Oh and those tasty cheeks(top and bottom) and the chins. xoxox
    Keep up the good work on growin that baby and sharing the details.
    .-= magda´s last blog ..For Roxanne =-.

7. says

I’m so glad that you heard good news. It’s amazing how much we love our babies before we even meet them.

Thanks so much for the lovely comment over at Leigh vs Laundry.

This could be the begining of a beautiful thing!

XO