World Breastfeeding Week

Dear Readers, It is World Breastfeeding Week.

I can’t believe I did not know this given I am crazy about whipping my boob out and letting my beautiful children eat.  Seriously, I went through a lot of pain and a lot of mastitis and a lot of embarrassing moments.  If I had the blog then I would have been writing about boobs non-stop.  Still, it was one of the most wonderful experiences I have had as a mother and I would not have it any other way.   I am very lucky to be able to have lactation consultants and an encouraging hospital and peace in my home where I can feed my kids.

Around the world, breastfeeding is not a choice.  It is a necessity.  It is a matter of life and death that the mothers get the nutrition and knowledge and safe place to feed their infants successfully.   In developing countries there is a huge risk in mixing formula with what may be contaminated water.  Also, because breast milk changes with what a baby needs to grow, a mother’s milk can best protect these vulnerable children.  According to Lancet in a UNICEF letter supporting the World Breastfeeding Week, for a mother in a developing country to be able to breastfeed her children exclusively for the first 6 months of life as we are able to would have the

single largest impact on child survival of all preventive interventions, with the potential to prevent 12 to 15% of all under age 5 deaths in the developing world

That is amazing.  A mother’s milk is a miracle food for babies.  So as Daphne on Cool Mom said when she alerted me to this important week,

Raise a Breast this week.  It’s importance can’t be underestimated.

Please understand there is no judgement here from me on moms who do not choose to breastfeed.  However, I still believe that if a woman can make it work, it is in the very best interest of the child and sends a great message around the world and to our poorest citizens.  As I said, we have a choice.  Many women do not.

Comments

1. says

Breastfeeding was one of the single-most amazing experiences of my life too (also fraught with pain, embarrassment struggle) – I wish I was STILL breastfeeding! Too bad my kids are now 4 and 6…

2. says

Haha. The ‘raise a breast’ made me chuckle. Especially as mine are so heavy, there is no raising going to happen anytime soon… Although I am, of course, fully aware of the seriousness of the topic. I am still breastfeeding – little L turns 4 months this week. I thought I’d be done with it as soon as she’d be 6 months, but with swine flu going around and the lovely antibodies she gets through my milk, I decided to hang in there a little longer. Sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes I don’t. But I enjoy to have a choice!
    You might be interested in this post from cartside. She highlights the link between poverty and breastfeeding: http://mummydothat.blogspot.com/2009/06/what-is-often-overlooked-in-breast.html

3. says

You’re right it is a choice, and I think that’s the best part about it. Many mothers really want to, but for various physical reasons, are unable to. Thanks for sharing.

4. says

I had no idea it was breastfeeding week. I agree, that if it’s in the cards, breastfeeding can be such a gift.
    It was a bit of a rollercoaster with my daughter as well with mastitis, and frequent leakage…at work…where there’s screaming babies, but it was worth it :)

5. Brittany says

To Boobie Mamas – You moms are amazing. While our boobs may suffer a tad for the sucking…It is a gift! And you Shraddha pumping for a year for twins. Holy Canoli! Go Mommy Words Milking Mama’s!!! (Talk about alliteration – wow)

6. says

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I am now following you.

I have to admit I did not breastfeed my son. I just couldn’t do it, I had him really young and was depressed and not really into it all. I think with my next one I will give this a try.

• Brittany says

Lisa Anne – No worries! Having a baby young and struggling with depression is so hard. One of the major things that keeps women from breastfeeding is not having the resources both for their emotional and physical health to do it. That is awesome that you are thinking of it for your next child. It really is an amazing experience! If you do try make sure to ask for help and take advantage of all your local hospital has to offer. Also make sure that your family and friends know that you are going to try to breastfeed and that it can be hard and that you would like their support in your decision. That will be a big help for you! Glad you are following and can’t wait to get to know you!

As I said ladies – no judgment!

7. says

I wish I could have breastfed more. I loved it and I miss it. Anyway, your daughter is a cutie! I am joining you from BMC!

• Brittany says

Vicki thanks for the compliment on Sophia. I miss breastfeeding as well. I guess I’ll be back at it in January though. The break is nice in a way – I felt like my boobs were always out!

8. Mom says

This one I could not resist! I breastfed all 4 of my beautiful children. I can still remember (even though you are now all 25-31 years of age), the quiet nights in the rocking chair, and the crazy nights out with wet circles on my satin shirt because it was time to feed Britt and I was nowhere near home!
    I actually found it to be so much more convenient, which sounds crazy but with 4 of you 5 and under, it was easier to breastfeed than to sterilize and prep bottles! So glad it kept you all healthy and me sane! Love that so many of your blogging friends have not given up with the challenges that sometimes come with the package. Go Girls!!!!!

9. says

I had no idea it was World Breastfeeding Week either! I breastfed both my boys for a year each, and it was a great experience for us!

Love your blog!

• Brittany says

Thanks Maggie! I did not know until mid-week either. I might just have to throw in one big breastfeeding post that may drive of my tens of readers that might not have breastfed but I just can’t say enough about it!

10. says

I breastfeed my daughter and it is truly one of the most wonderful and rewarding experiences ever. It’s such an amazing feeling to know that I can provide her with all the nutrition and everything that she needs! It’s also such a great bonding experience. I will admit it isn’t easy, especially at first, but it has been totally worth it. Great blog by the way!

11. says

Breastfeeding is the most difficult and extraordinary thing I have ever done and yet it is also so simple and natural. Does that make sense?

• says

Kathy I could not believe I did not know either. That is AWESOME that you are a NICU nurse. The nurses in the NICU when my sister had her twins 8 week early were absolutely amazing. You do great work! And yay for encouraging these moms to breastfeed even though they are probably SO nervous.